Brand New Toshiba Satellite-How Hot Should It Be Running?

Barguestspirit

Honorable
Apr 9, 2013
I just bought a brand new Toshiba Satellite C855D-S5103 from Best Buy a couple days ago. It's got 4GB RAM, 320GB hard drive, 1.3 GHz AMD E-300 processor, and 64 bit Windows 8. Having always had older, second hand laptops before, and having had problems with overheating, I installed Speedfan on my new laptop, mainly out of curiosity to see how much cooler my brand new laptop ran in comparison. I was a bit surprised by the temperature readings. When the laptop is mainly idle, the temps run around 50-54 C. When I'm surfing the web, running programs, doing things with files, etc., the temps run from 52-62 C. I also have been keeping an eye on Toshiba's PC health monitor program, the CPU temperature remains around 45-55%, while the fan speed always seems to be 50-60%. I can feel warm air coming from the vent. For instance, Right now at this moment, the temperature readings from Speedfan are: Hard Drive-35C, Temp1-52C, GPU-54C, Core-53C. CPU load fluctuating between 13-36%.

I know laptops have a tendency to run hotter than desktops, but I thought this new laptop would run a bit cooler, I don't think it's had enough time to accumulate dust, or for the thermal compound to dry out. I keep it on one of those laptop 'lap desks', as I usually use it sitting on my bed and this keeps it sitting on a hard flat surface at all times. The area is well ventilated, and there is nothing surrounding the computer to block any vents or trap heat around it.

So, for anyone in the know about these things, is this normal for these laptops? Or do you think it's a little too warm? $300 is a lot of money for me, I was hoping this laptop would last me a few years at least. I don't want to end up with an overheating or broken laptop so soon down the road. If it's already beginning to overheat, I'd like to know ASAP so I can take it back and either exchange for another one or get a different laptop model or brand.

Thank you in advance to anyone who can answer my questions. :)

AZCompTech

Honorable
Apr 9, 2013
I wouldn't stress that temp. Those temps are very normal for a laptop. As you stated, laptops do run hotter than desktops. I