I want a "durable" cell phone. by "durable" i mean its batteries can stay

dciree

Honorable
Apr 1, 2013
unbroken even after after i habitually have it plugged into the charger (and the charger into the electric plug outlet) for 8+ hours. I often forget it and leave it there for around 11 hours. I want the phone to stay usable for at least a year. So far my Verizon HTC SMT5800's battery, and its replacement, have both died (my bf says its bc I left it plugged in for 8+ hours. That or the ebay seller I bought it from did not sell me good batteries). Thanks for your cell phone recommendation

zink1701

Honorable
Sep 14, 2012
Sony experia u is what i have, I admit the phone is not the best and compaired to the new Samsung or iphone it dark age tech but i have had mine for just over a year, I leave it on charge for days at a time, its been thrown, dropped and survived a bath (dropped it in the bath lol) and it still works just as it did when i first got it (cosmetically it looks like crap now due to cracked case from being thrown but it works). Please note that is my opinion from my own experience with this particular phone and not me saying this is a definite best choice, there are probable better phones :)

Well, continuously charging a lithium ion battery can shorten it's life. So it is generally not recommended that you keep it plugged in all the time. The same can be said for laptop which is why some laptops only charge the battery between 50% and 80%. You must override the setting to get a 100% charge.

The battery does not get continuously charged. Once the battery reaches 100% the circuity should automatically turn off the charging state. However, the circuitry "tops off" the every now and then to maintain the 100%; known as trickle charge.

Everyone wants a battery to give the most battery life they can get. They want their electronic device to last a long as possible on a charge. Ironically, this is actually what shortens battery life. The longer the battery is forced to hold a full charge the quicker the battery degrades (hence why many laptops automatically limits the battery charge between 50% - 80% capacity). Without getting too technical, the high voltage eventually causes the lithium to "crystalize" forming "lithium plating". Once the lithium in the battery changes to this state the battery begins to loose it's capacity; meaning the battery does not last as long as when it was new.

With regards to batteries bought online, some could be manufactured cheaply especially if the battery is being sold for an inexpensive price. These cheaply made batteries tends to loose their charge more quickly compared to more expensive replacement batteries. I would suggest buying replacement batteries from Amazon and read the user reviews. If too many people complain about the quality of the batteries, then avoid them.