Good laptop for college?

ibshortkid94

Honorable
Dec 2, 2012
I am graduating high school in a few months and I am looking for a good laptop for school related work (Word processing, email, c++ and java programming, web browsing, and light gaming ie, minecraft). Here are some of my criteria below:

Price Range: $1,000 or less

Overall size: I don't want a netbook but neither do I want a huge computer to carry around, something in the middle of the size scale.

Processor: I'd prefer something around the range of an i5.

RAM: At least 4GB with room to expand if possible

Hard Drive: Around 500GB to 1TB

Video Card: The best one available while keeping the price within my range

Operating system: Windows 7 is a MUST! I do not like win8... but I can "upgrade" to win7 myself later if its my only option.

Other Notes: Good battery life is a very important criteria. In addition, it doesn't matter if the cpu is Intel or AMD. It also doesn't matter if the GPU is Nvidia or AMD. (I am rather impartial between the brands and I'm not using the computer for serious gaming anyway).

Sorry if this was a bit long but the only laptops I can seem to find are the super low-end ones and then they jump right up to the $2,000 beasts.

EDIT: Forgot to post this earlier, however the processor is an i7, although i'm not complaining...
http://www.dell.com/us/p/inspiron-17r-se-7720/pd?oc=fncwn24s7&model_id=inspiron-17r-se-7720

chinatefeiba

Honorable
Mar 29, 2013
Hello,

i3 and i5 are not much different, because I have used i3, i5, and i7 laptops in the past and now. Based on your need of a laptop for college use, Microsoft Office Professional 2010 will be an essential tool to you because it has Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, Outlook, Publisher, etc and be used in many college classes.

In addition, you prefer to have Windows 7, so Windows 7 Ultimate should be your best choice because it's the most efficient operating system.

This is your first laptop in college. You should not buy a too expensive one, because you may need to change a more powerful laptop based on your major needs during your senior year. A light-used laptop should be an economic choice.

You can check Amazon http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B005KP74JK/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used&seller=A1N5JM9QQ3JFSS

whyso

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012

That is an amazing ripoff. $700 for that piece of used crap?

As a student office 2013 is $89 for everything (good for 4 years) including skype and skydrive. So ignore that part of the equation.

Windows 7 ultimate will not be any benefit to you because you will never use the additional features as a student.

That computer would have cost $600 when new, really its only worth about $300 now.

It generally has crappy reviews. Its a low end dell system so expect to have problems.

whyso

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012

Really good gaming performance per dollar but the battery life will be mediore (3 hours) because optimus will not work.

ibshortkid94

Honorable
Dec 2, 2012

Couldn't I simply switch between integrated and discreet in the Nvidia control panel? (I am not sure because it would be my first dual gpu computer). either that, or I could just get another battery.