Stopped Booting, Won't Even Load BIOS

nvrau

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2006
Hi group!

I cannot get my Dell XPS M1530 to boot even the BIOS. The LEDs turn on and back off in less than 1.5 secs. If it is the first boot attempt of the day, the CD/DVD drive will initialize and the LEDs may stay on for 2 secs. Other the first attempt, even the drive doesn't initialize. (NOTE, these notebooks are slot loaded.)

It ran all morning, I turned it off at lunch, came back and no luck since. I have been noticing a significant slowing of the PC after a Windows' update last week or so, which could be coincidental. I reviewed the restore points and there were two or three over the last week but decided not to use one. Instead I decided to use the original Windows disc.

This is a side note but just prior to shut down I inserted the Dell Home Media disc to see if it included a way to uninstall it, there wasn't so I ejected it. I have Autoload turned-off on the drive so nothing should have installed.

I then inserted the Dell Windows 'Upgrade Vista to Windows 7 Home' disc. I didn't open or install anything, perused the directories. I left the disc in so it would boot from the disc.

When I pressed the power button, the disc initialized and the PC powered off within the 2 secs. I then worked to get the disc out but it would not eject. I ended up taking the PC apart, including the drive as there is no quick release button like on a drawer type, then reassembled. Tested and there is no difference.

What is my next step in troubleshooting a PC which doesn't even load the BIOS?

nvrau

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2006
Ok, I just tried booting again and this time it booted...

So, I guess my question will change to, what would you do to check/repair/troubleshoot this and prevent it from happening again?

Thanks for reading!

PS: Fortunately, my data is backed up so no worries there.

Hi :)

Sounds like a power problem to me...either charger, or motherboard jack or motherboard...

All the best Brett :)