Windows 7 Unlock Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

aqws

Honorable
Mar 23, 2013
I am currently running my custom PC on win7 64-bit and I am having a very strange problem. I often lock my PC if I'm going to be gone for more than 5 minutes. However, sometimes when I log back on it completely freaks out. It acts almost as if I am holding down the enter key. If I open chrome and type a letter in the url bar it will automatically take me the first suggestion (i.e. typing 'g' will instantly bring up google). However I can still type in search bars. If I press the start key it will act similarly the only way I can stop this is by trying to navigate to the shutdown or restart option from the start menu, which may or may not properly shut it down. Sometimes it will just get stuck on the welcome screen when shutting down. It is completely random. Sometimes it will happen after only one unlock sometimes after 5+ times. It also does not happen after any specific amount of time. I have had this PC for almost 6 months now and have been having this problem for about a month now and have been unable to solve it. I have looked online and have not found anyone with a similar problem and I would greatly appreciate it if someone could help me out.

Kjwinden

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013
How often do you reboot your computer? Windows can get very buggy when left on for too long. It also gets buggy when you put it through those log on and off cycles. Rebooting should fix your problem.

warhead0

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2011
It could be a problem with the keyboard or USB port.

First, try changing the USB port that the keyboard is plugged into.

Second, the keyboard itself could have something wrong. Clean the keyboard and thoroughly.

(Optional) If the keyboard requires drivers, check for any updates or re-install the latest drivers.

Kjwinden

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013

Thats all great and good...but first try rebooting. There's a reason why in the BBC show "The IT Crowd," the one dude is famous for starting conversations off with "have you tried turning it off and on again?"

aqws

Honorable
Mar 23, 2013
First of all, thanks for the responses. Secondly I do tend to leave my computer on for quite a while because I run a server on it. Since this is a chronic issue I have been having, I don't think a simple reboot will fix this (but I have rebooted several times). I will try seeing if the keyboard is the problem, but I also do no think so since I can type in search bars perfectly fine. Either way I have changed the port it is in and ensured that the drivers are up to date. As soon as I can determine if this has made a difference, I will post again. Once again, thank you.

aqws

Honorable
Mar 23, 2013
OK, so after a couple of days of testing I think I have narrowed down the problem to the keyboard. I have tried several different usb ports and that has not made a difference, but when the problem occurs, unplugging the keyboard and plugging it back in will fix the problem. Any ideas on what I should do or is it just a bad keyboard?

warhead0

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2011

It's hard to say, are you able to replicate the problems with another keyboard?
If yes, you might have a problem with the USB ports or somthing similar.
If no, The keyboard might be causing the problem.

If you hav'nt go any spare keyboard around, you can pick up a very basic and cheap one to test this out.

Status
Not open for further replies.