Speaker Recommendations for small room 10"x12" Do I "need" surround? Would it even work?

reidthaler

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2008
We have a small room, actually just a bit less than 10x12, with a 60" plasma TV, and our couch against the back wall.

I just bought a new receiver, Onkyo 313, 5.1 I have speakers that I've used in a traditional 2.0 systems, that I could use again:

Celestion Ditton 100
Cambridge sound works bookshelf speakers
Boston bookshelf speakers
Mission book shelf speakers

I'm trying to think what is a cost effect upgrade. It seems like a center speaker and a subwoofer. Is the Yamaha NS-C210 a combination bass and center? We aren't gamers and tend to watch dramas rather than action adventure movies.

With the couch against the back wall, it doesn't seem to make sense to put rear speakers to the sides of us, since the balance would be off for rear speakers. I don't want to throw a ton of money for such a small space that really can't benefit from too much or too big of speakers.

What makes sense to have good sound utilizing some of the speakers I already have given our room configuration?

Thanks,

Reid

You could just use 1 speaker for the center speaker. Try different ones to see what you like best. The Center speaker is the most important
speaker IMHO because that is where the most of the voice sounds come from.

For the rear speakers, you could mount them and have them fire down directly to the couch. You play around with them from the sides and see how that sounds.

For a small room, you won't need a big sub woofer.

You will have to play around with the sound settings on the receiver to make it sound the best.

Also, those all are pretty decent sounding speakers so you should be fine. What models are the Cambridge, Boston and Missions.
The Celestions are pretty decent bookshelf speakers!

Happy Listening, the Prisoner.