Any laptops come with ability to remove pre-installed crapware?

DannyITR

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2009
I just bought an ASUS S56 with Win 8 and I'm very disappointed. Since it doesn't come with a disk or even a key, I'm stuck with either using the restore partition to restore factory settings with all the useless programs or go and buy a new copy of Win 8 and do a clean install with the partitioning I want. It came with a 24GB SSD and I'd like to have the OS entirely on that SSD.

Are there any laptops that come with a disk or that offer the ability to wipe the manufacturer garbage off? Or maybe there is a way to make a Win 8 ISO out of my recovery partition and I'm unaware?

Hi :)

Great idea but no, unfortunately...

I spend hours in my shops removing that rubbish from ADD/REMOVE programs... from customers machines.... :(

It takes a while but you will get rid of most of it....

All the best Brett :)

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
If you're willing to take the risk:

1. Find Windows 8 registry key: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows-8/a/windows-8-product-key.htm

2. Find a legal place to download Windows 8 (I've looked and haven't found any yet). Not the copy with a cracked key through! Then rip the file to a DVD.

3. Backup files, reformat the hard drive, and then install Win8.

I know this procedure worked well for Windows 7 (as I've done similar steps on my laptop and others), but I'm not fully confident that it will work for Windows 8.