Laptop screen not working, but boots

Kyle Elmore

Honorable
Mar 19, 2013
Hey guys, can you help me out?

My laptop's speakers were not working, and I thought it might be a loose connection (since shaking the computer fixed the problem), so I opened up my computer to check things out.

After I had checked the connection, I turned my laptop on while it was still taken apart (keyboard cover off) to make sure it was the connection and not a broken wire or something, and I tested playing some music.

Everything was fine, but after a little bit, my computer turned off and now my screen has stopped working. Can anyone give me advice on this? The screen was fine just moments before. I have tried doing a hard reset (holding down the power button for 60 seconds with the power cord and battery out), but the screen still does not work.

Also, I can boot my computer up and connect it to an external monitor to get a display. But, my laptop's screen does not show up in device manager anymore, and nothing shows up on the laptop screen when I boot (not the BIOS or OS).

I have an Acer Aspire 8943G, if that helps.

Thanks!

toarranre

Honorable
Feb 7, 2013
Best case, connection is loose, worst case, you're screen is dead. The fact that it's not showing up in the device manager probably means it's just been knocked loose. One of the downsides of percussive maintenance. If you are comfortable opening it up find a video tutorial for how to check the connections (don't shake/tap/punch it :p)