Slow uploading to MP3 player via USB

voyager1

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
I have used The Sansa Clip, Clip+ and Clip Zip through the last several years.
The one thing that has driven me up the wall is the upload rate for large batches of small files.

I have used these MP3 players for audiobooks exclusively.
I break the audiobooks into 3-1/2 to 5 minute files, and then upload them through a USB connection.
The upload rate starts out at a reasonable pace.
As the upload progresses though, the rate slows down and continues to go slower and slower.
I have noted this to also happen with other brands of MP3 players.
My assumption is that this is a result of using a USB connection even though it is a USB 2.0.

By the time I break up an audiobook there are usually at least 100 files and it can go as high as several hundred files.
It can end up taking a couple of hours or more to upload the files.

Is there any way to keep the upload from going slower, and s-s-l-l-o-o-w-w-e-e-r-r and s-s-s-l-l-l-o-o-o-w-w-w-e-e-e-r-r-r as the upload progresses?

in general usb transfer of a high number of small files will take more time then a small number of larger files. at least this is what i notice on usb 2.0. you may also be limited by the mp3 device itself. transfer to a memory stick is often many times faster then said devices.

i use a ipod classic through itunes and transfer speeds are quite a bit faster. transferring onto an old walkman however was noticibly slower.

not a solution, just letting you know its not suprising in the least.