Laptop for Architecture Student (CADing/Rendering stuff)

ffarena

Honorable
Mar 18, 2013
I had an HP dv6 Pavilion laptop for school and what not, i bought it 3 years ago but lately i've been having over-heat issues (one time it actually completely shut down) so i'm scared that it'll shutdown again while working on important projects, so i'm looking to replace it with a new one... hope you all can help, since I really have no idea what would be best (graphic cards and that kind of stuff)

1_What is your budget?

Somewhere around 1,000-1500

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?

15.4'' -17''

3_What screen resolution do you want?

i dont know, guess it doesn't really matter

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?

desktop replacement, i'd like it if it didn't weigh that much but it doesnt matter either.

5_How much battery life do you need?

anything is okay.

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

I don't really game

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing, surfing the web, playing music, watching movies, Etc.)

I do work a lot with AutoCAD, Revit Architecture, Sketch up, Photoshop, Illustrator, etcetera...

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need?

500GB is okay.

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post the links to them.

preferably a store I can pick it up from (costco etc...). otherwise, newegg.com

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop?

as long as possible.

11_If you would like to mention some other things about purchasing your ideal laptop, post them.

preferably something that isn't mac (I dont like autocad interface on mac & idont wanna bother with bootcamp.)

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

I was thinking of ASUS (couple friends recommended it), and i would not like another HP laptop (most of the people i know with one have complained about it, and mine was a little brittle too)

More Specifically I was thinking of something like:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834216022 - Toshiba Qosmio (1,199$) - i really like this one and have heard good things about it. any comments about it?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834314006 - Acer Aspire V5 (899$) - really budget-inclined

i also found this one i like:
http://www.costco.com/Lenovo%C2%AE-IdeaPad%C2%AE-Y500-Intel%C2%AE-Core%E2%84%A2-i7-3630QM-2.3GHz%2c-1080p-Display.product.100029235.html

13_What country do you live in?

Mexico, but i was planning on going to pick it up at a store or have it shipped to a friend's address, which is why i'd prefer if it was costco (i could return it at home if needed)

Thanks for the help in advance :)!

olin9

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2008
I have the Y500 and I like it. If autocad supports SLI then this is a good choice.

The Y500 is on sale on the Lenovo site for $879 with one GPU and a DVD burner.
The 2nd GPU if needed is $137.

The one at cosco does not have a DVD player\burner.

The ultrabay will work with a 2nd GPU, hard drive, DVD burner, or extra fan.