I need a laptop that's good for the Adobe programs

dancingbymyself

Honorable
Mar 16, 2013
ok, i'll kinda use the form that was in the other thread to give you guys an idea of what i'm looking for. i'm not a computer person at all, so honestly, i don't even know what all of this means.

1. What is your budget? would like to stay under $1,500. would REALLY like to stay under $1,000.

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? i'd like a screen at least 13" because i'll be doing graphics and design.

3. What screen resolution do you want?

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? my laptop will mostly stay at home but might come to work with me sometimes.

5. How much battery life do you need? battery life isn't terribly important.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? no games

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.) i'd mostly be using the adobe creative suite. mostly photoshop, with some dreamweaver, illustrator and indesign. also the usual, email and internet. i'll be keeping my current laptop for all the junk like music, tv and all that jazz.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need? i doubt i'll need a ton. and if i do, i can always get an external hard drive later.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop? hopefully for a very long time. that's the reason i'm willing to spend more.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? a drive isn't necessary.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. i've been considering a mac mostly because that's what i use at work and i feel it would be the easiest to go back and forth with because i'd be doing mostly work tasks on my laptop at home. our company mostly only uses macs, and most potential future employers are going to want me to be mac proficient as well. i currently have a toshiba satellite and it's ok. it's my second satellite.

13. What country do you live in? usa

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed. like i said, i don't know a lot of the technical stuff. i just want a good computer that's going to be good for the adobe programs. i'd also like one that's fast. i'm currently leaning toward a macbook pro.

If you must go with a MacBook Pro you might want to consider staying away from the ones with Retina displays. There have been a lot of complaints with a "ghosting" problem. An optical drive (CD/DVD drive) may be more important than you think unless you are going to download all of the programs you wish to install or are going to purchase an external optical drive. The ones with the Retina display do not come with an optical drive and from what I have read you cannot upgrade the RAM in those. I have a MacBook Pro and though the official statement from Apple is that it only supports a maximum of 8GB of RAM I have upgraded mine to 16GB of RAM and the MacBook recognizes all of it. If you plan on editing video the 15" MacBook Pro may be the better choice since it has a discreet video card which will help with rendering videos. For less money than a MacBook Pro you could consider this from Sager - http://www.sagernotebook.com/index.php?page=product_info&model_name=NP9170 - it has a 17" screen and has room to grow (you can add a second hard drive later and it supports up to 32GB of RAM. If the 17" is too big then you could consider the NP9150 15.6" model - http://www.sagernotebook.com/index.php?page=category_browse&selected_cat=special&mid=NP9150 .