Android: PDF opens in contrasting orientation

Li Yuan Tan

Honorable
Mar 15, 2013
Hello everyone,

Recently just acquired a android device (the nexus 7) and I am having a problem to read PDFs. Basically these pdfs will open up in landscape mode while I am holding my Nexus in portrait mode. When I try to correct this by flipping to landscape mode, the PDF will rotate to portrait mode.

I have been searching for solutions to no avail. Any help?

I have a Nexus 7 and I have never come across that issue. What are you using to open PDF files with? You can try two things:

1. On the upper right hand corner where the battery indicator and time clock is just swipe down for the "quick" menu. You should see an icon for "Auto Rotate". Tap it so that it changes to "Rotation Locked". However, this is not an ideal solution since it locks the auto rotation for everything. This may or may not work, but it's worth testing.

2. Download another app. The issue might be specific to whatever app you are using to read PDFs. I use Mantano Reader; the free version. I like it a lot.

Assuming the rotation issue exists for every reader app you tried, then there is a solution with Mantano Reader. Once the PDF is loaded, tap the screen to bring up the menu. Then tap the Display icon. In the Display Settings the right most icon at the top is used to set the screen orientation. You can set it to Portrait mode and the PDF will always open in portrait mode. The setting is only for that specific PDF file though. Opening another PDF file will require you to repeat the settings.