Gigabyte U2440N: Terrible cooling: Redo thermal paste?

starjet

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2010
Kind of a long post, so please read if you have time. :)

A little less than two months ago, I bought a Gigabyte U2440N (Core i5-3317U + NVIDIA Geforce GT630M + 4GB RAM + 750 GB 5400RPM HDD + 32 GB mSATA SSD), as its slim size and weight intrigued me. Been using it happily since then for my college work, watching movies, listening to music and generally had it turned on for the greater part of every day. Average CPU temps lie in the 40s. (deg. Celsius)

Since a few days ago, I've finally had some free time, and I thought I'd run a couple of games and see how the GT630M performs. I tried out a few modern games like Assassin's Creed III, Crysis 2 and Tomb Raider. Again, I'm pretty happy with the performance of this small machine. However, that brought with it a new problem that I didn't notice before because I didn't use the NVIDIA GPU for anything.

The laptop heats up like a monster when the NVIDIA GPU is being fully utilized. If I were to hold my hand at the vent, the blowing hot air is enough to make me shudder and pull my hand back instinctively. Loaded up Realtemp and played AC III for half an hour. The max temp was a whopping 92 degress Celsius. I know that the TJ Max is 105, but this is obviously too close to that and not normal.

What I found odd about this situation is that when playing AC III, the CPU load doesn't go over 50 or 60 percent at any given time. Yet the temp reached that monstrous value. It certainly wasn't a false reading, as I felt the burning temperature with my own hand. So I got a little worried and ran Prime95. However, even at continuous 100% load for several hours, the temp never rose past 76 degrees which was the maximum value I obtained. But as soon as I load up a game via the NVIDIA GPU, the CPU temp rises to very high levels alongside the GPU temp despite the CPU not being fully utilized.

From what I can gather, the CPU and GPU seem to be cooled using the same cooling setup, and somehow the heat from the GPU gets transferred over to the CPU, and it sort of "passively" gets heated despite not internally generating that kind of heat. What should I do about this? The CPU itself isn't generating the heat, so reapplying thermal paste and reseating the heatsink won't do much, I'd wager. I rarely play demanding games on this, so it isn't much of a problem for me. But I hate having to not use the GPU that I paid for.

Some help, please? What should I do? Thanks for any ideas. :)

EDIT: Would cleaning up and re-applying thermal paste help?

ranco58

Honorable
Mar 16, 2013
Performance laptops fun hot its just the way it is due to being in a small case, the best way to improve cooling is a external cooling pad with a fan or two. Also make sure that it is on a hard serface not your lap, a bed or the floor you would not belive the number of laptops that I have repaired that have had dog hair,lint etc in the heat sink in them..

Ranco58

starjet

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2010
Thanks for the response. Sadly, an external cooler literally does nothing unless I open up the back panel, which is not a very practical method considering I need the laptop mobile.
Could this be a bad thermal paste job? (Though considering the heat quickly travels to the CPU, it probably isn't such a case.) There are no warranty stickers inside this thing, so I can redo the thermal paste and see anyway. Would that be a good idea?