Dell Inspiron AC charger problem

MMXMonster

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
A Month or so a window began to pop up and say that my laptop battery has reached the end of its life and shold be replaced. It still maintains about 1.5hrs of power depending on what I am doing. Today when powering up after POST it says the AC adapter is not recognized and so it wont charge my battery and will run slower on AC power.

What happened? Did a failing battery kill my AC supply? The other day while using the laptop the front led light was blinking orange and the battery was hot as well as the adapter. I think the AC adapter is 65w, can I use a 90w. I have been told using a higher wattage supply wont get as warm as the original 65w. (the original would get very hot after a few hours.)

Hi :)

Take OUT the battery and run it on the charger only...if it works fine, its new battery time...assuming the charger IS a Dell one and not A COPY CHARGER...

A genuine Dell charger will have a PA number on the black sticker... e.g PA10, PA12,PA21,PA3E etc etc

All the best Brett :)

MMXMonster

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
I pulled the battery and I am currently running with out it only on AC power. Still get the warning at boot up the AC Adapter is not recolonized as a dell charger. How does it know? Is there a chip or something in the brick? It is the original AC adapter that came with the laptop from Dell. I was looking at this adapter as a replacement.
www.laptop-battery-chargers.com/dell-inspiron-1440-ac-adapter.html
It's a little larger and higher wattage.

Hi :)

Yes you WILL still get the warning, but it doesnt matter...

You DO NOT need a higher wattage charger...you NEED a GENUINE Dell charger of the CORRECT wattage/voltage/amperage ... those will be on the charger black sticker and also on bottom of lappy on black sticker..

All the best Brett :)