15 Cleaning Tools for Your PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

gonzotgreat23

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
Great story. What ever happened to the programs that would scan your system and tell you when you had updated drivers/patches available? I miss being able to be lazy.

assasin32

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
[citation][nom]gonzotgreat23[/nom]Great story. What ever happened to the programs that would scan your system and tell you when you had updated drivers/patches available? I miss being able to be lazy.[/citation]

You want secbrowing if your using Google Chrome to keep up to date on the extensions. And Nvidia has something that either updates or tells you there is a new update for their GPU driver I believe. I don't have that one installed I just remember seeing it as I updated my driver a few days ago and remember seeing the option. Besides that from what I seen Win7 and Vista updates default drivers every now and than.

Dogsnake

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2006
I just do not get the reason for this article except as a blatant advertisement for these utilities. When Tom's Hardware did a test of many of these and other software claiming to speed up a system, they found zero improvement in system performance (by any measure of it). Some did remove unwanted or obsolete files but that was about it. Also though the software did present a somewhat unified interface for this action, all the clean ups could be done with native application and OS tools. In a few cases the utilities even slowed a system. The registry cleaner section of some of the tools also presents a chance of damaging the system if it is not used by an experienced user. Lastly on 8/2/2011 This page ran the same article citing 12 utilities instead of 15. I would think there is enough new in computers and IT to come up with new subjects. All in all this is just junk journalism and I expect better from Tom,s.

G

None of these work on my PC... oh wait, I don't use Windows, hence don't need them. Thank goodness for that!

basketcase87

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2011
It seems to me most of these are extremely reduntant (look- another program to clean "useless files"). It would be nice if there was some kind of summary that gave an idea of what had unique features without having to pick through the details of each tool.

alphaa10

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2006
Piriform software, a UK firm known for high-quality releases, produces CCleaner and also a product called "Defraggler", which could help CCleaner keep the system fast.

The free version of Avast! provides an update checker that works exceptionally well.

Good article, with strong evidence the author actually used each application. Comparisons focus on differences that matter to end-users. Overall, a wide range of products that are probably on everyone's "Buy Next" list

CyberGhosT

Honorable
Oct 10, 2013
Tuneup Utilities is all I use and have used for many years now, and my custom Digitalstorm gaming system is purring like a kitten 3 yrs later. I was taught that "if it aint broke, don't fix it" so I feel no need to switch or change up at this point.
Give it a try you may thank me later. PeAcE

Strelok_1

Commendable
May 3, 2016
Advanced System Care, the best one with a LOT of functionalities. I totally recommend it.
Expected to see it here.

Status
Not open for further replies.