Your question
Closed

Apple Awarded Design Patent For Slide-to-Unlock UI

Last response: in Rooting, Jailbreaking & Unlocking
February 6, 2013 9:34:45 PM

I can't believe that "rounded corners" got a patent
Score
February 6, 2013 9:39:23 PM

I wonder who has a patent for entering a word that gives you access to a system.
I also wonder who has a patent of having text appearing on a screen when keys are pressed on a keyboard.
I also wonder....
Score
February 6, 2013 9:39:48 PM

2 things that damn near every freaking smartphone/tablet has already and is pretty much a basic feature that requires no ingenuity. What an absolute joke.
Score
February 6, 2013 9:42:32 PM

Rounded corners is a safety/comfort feature moreso than a design feature. No rough edges to poke yourself with.

...More fuel for Apple to continue their patent war with.
Score
February 6, 2013 9:43:53 PM

This is insane! Will anyone be able stop that US patent office once and for all? If this is what people do with patents these days, better just close the office now. Also, the slide to unlock have been around as a physical button years before iPod or Iphone were even on paper.
Score
Anonymous
February 6, 2013 9:44:30 PM

Anyone ever feel like Apple is your rich friend whose parents give them everything they want because they are a spoiled brat? We all have this friend and we all hate them we can only one day hope they get hit by a bus.
Score
February 6, 2013 9:54:52 PM

The patent office is getting paid very well my friends.
Score
February 6, 2013 10:01:28 PM

What the hell?? We've just been spammed!!!
Score
February 6, 2013 10:05:16 PM

Ridiculous. No hate but this just seems ridiculous.
Score
February 6, 2013 10:05:44 PM

I thought they already had the rounded corner patent...... how did they ever get that one approved...
Score
February 6, 2013 10:13:56 PM

Apple isn't the only company with silly patents like these. Microsoft and Google both hold a large number of similar patents as well, and I'm sure we'll find the same with Samsung and every other large tech company. The only difference is that Apple took advantage of the situation and decided to sue. If all tech companies behaved this way, our phones would all have like one or two features max. Hopefully Apple uses their newly awarded design patents for innovation rather than greed.
Score
February 6, 2013 10:16:01 PM

Apples pockets are deep. But I will tell you this, people are starting to catch on to there bullshit and are refusing to buy their products. These patents are just apple getting desperate. I for one have completely taken myself out of their phone and tablet market. I will only buy their all in one's and MacBooks. For now
Score
February 6, 2013 10:18:37 PM

To be fair, they did introduce it. I don't see anything wrong with this.
Score
February 6, 2013 10:27:44 PM

"Methodology for holding distributed product inside folded casing"

There, I just patented gum wrappers. Where's my money, Wrigleys?
Score
February 6, 2013 10:29:16 PM

Yeah, but their not coming out with something newer and original after someone copies them. They're just trying to hold on to the same design, which is why the last 3 Iphones have been basically the same phone, except for it's innards and an extending of the phone, which is technically copying Samsung because they came out with the large screen first. Lol.
Score
February 6, 2013 10:30:28 PM

sacreTo be fair, they did introduce it. I don't see anything wrong with this.

To be fair, they didn't come up with the concept, they just updated it so that the graphics follow your finger.

Still, doesn't really matter since all a competitor needs to do is have their slide to unlock feature work left-to-right as well as right-to-left or similar and they wouldn't be infringing on this.
Score
February 6, 2013 10:35:20 PM

They surely didn't... I can recall visiting some technically entertaining Macromedia Flash sites from around 10 years ago, when Flash 4 & 5 were king. Sites with interesting intro/time wasters and cheesy event driven slide-to-open bars like this that developers would stitch into a site to allow a user to navigate it. That's just an example.
Prior art alone should invalidate this patent.
Score
February 6, 2013 11:05:49 PM

Seriously?
Score
February 6, 2013 11:18:43 PM

halcyonRidiculous. No hate but this just seems ridiculous.

It only seems ridiculous because it is.
We are at the sad step in tech evolution where stupid patents and trademarks are awarded by morons that have no understanding whatsoever of the consequences. To them, it does not matter that by awarding these patents they are in fact impeding competition and hampering progress. Broad/generic patents should never be allowed, because resources are being spent in order to find avenues to avoid infringement instead of being spent to advance real technology. Not to mention the waste on legal battles. This is similar to patenting the circular shape of a wheel by a single car company, leaving all the rest scratching their heads to find ways around that.
My faith in mankind just went south a little.
Score
February 6, 2013 11:25:35 PM

spectrewindThey surely didn't... I can recall visiting some technically entertaining Macromedia Flash sites from around 10 years ago, when Flash 4 & 5 were king. Sites with interesting intro/time wasters and cheesy event driven slide-to-open bars like this that developers would stitch into a site to allow a user to navigate it. That's just an example.Prior art alone should invalidate this patent.

You don't get it do you? Someone paints a yellow arrow on the inside of their house.. who cares? Now use that same designed Yellow arrow on a sign that points people somewhere, that is different. There is a purpose. millions of people didn't see that slide to unlock demo 10 years ago. People did see it on an iPhone though..

So just to be fair, they did design it for an application of unlocking their smartphone...
Score
February 6, 2013 11:40:34 PM

If rounded corners can get patented and wedged shape laptops also can, can Apple just patent every possible shape?
Score
Anonymous
February 7, 2013 12:10:31 AM

[To be fair, they didn't come up with the concept, they just updated it so that the graphics follow your finger.

Still, doesn't really matter since all a competitor needs to do is have their slide to unlock feature work left-to-right as well as right-to-left or similar and they wouldn't be infringing on this.]

You are talking about the jury of a joke from California court in Apple vs Samsung case. A patent like this should be enough to down the round circle slide to unlock UI feature in Android Jelly Bean. Don't believe me? Look at the appearance of the iPhone and the original Samsung Galaxy S. Do you notice the button is round in the iPhone and Samsung Galaxy S has a rectangular button? But Apple designer testified that she cannot differentiate between the two phones, and the jury believed her.

Like someone said earlier, Apple is just a spoiled brat which US government and the patent office is giving everything they want, probably because they think Apple is the poster child in such a bad economy.
Score
February 7, 2013 12:37:35 AM

Apple owns the U.S. Patent Office, so I'm surprised it took this long.
Score
February 7, 2013 12:40:24 AM

They make it really easy to hate Apple.

Seems bizarre that you can patent rounded corners. It's not really rounded corners though. There were plenty of full screen Samsung phones with rounded corners before iPhone. It was more about the overall shape. However, still stupid. So many PDA phones were around before iPhone. I wonder how many ideas iPhone creators borrowed (intentionally or not) from all the other phones. There are only so many designs for a phone that make sense. Perfectly rectangle with rounded corners seems like one of the most obvious ones.
Score
February 7, 2013 12:41:03 AM

They make it really easy to hate Apple.

Seems bizarre that you can patent rounded corners. It's not really rounded corners though. There were plenty of full screen Samsung phones with rounded corners before iPhone. It was more about the overall shape. However, still stupid. So many PDA phones were around before iPhone. I wonder how many ideas iPhone creators borrowed (intentionally or not) from all the other phones. There are only so many designs for a phone that make sense. Perfectly rectangle with rounded corners seems like one of the most obvious ones.
Score
February 7, 2013 12:55:02 AM

Shin-sanI can't believe that "rounded corners" got a patent

I cant believe Apple gets any patents at all.
Score
February 7, 2013 12:59:30 AM

Apple is BRIBING the USTPO
Score
February 7, 2013 1:16:31 AM

Patents are how we measure innovation in the USA now. It's not about quality anymore. It's all about quantity. Patent EVERYTHING if you want to be innovative! This is way easier than subjectively determining what is or is not innovative. What a great thing for lazy patent office workers! Wouldn't want them actually doing their extremely difficult and taxing jobs now would we?!
Score
February 7, 2013 1:41:20 AM

My god do I hate Apple on every possible level. If you are a tech lover, a Toms reader you sure the hell etter not be buying Apple crap. So many reasons a tech person shouldn't touch Apple with a 10 foot pole. Their time in the sun is over, take em out guys.
Score
February 7, 2013 3:22:13 AM

I'm going to patent breathing and sue all of you......
Score
Anonymous
February 7, 2013 5:21:30 AM

Didn't you guys read the recent PR article. This is just a run-off of that. Isn't it obvious?
Score
February 7, 2013 6:33:02 AM

I am going to patent sex. So anyone doing that needs to pay up. Patent pimp!!!
Score
Anonymous
February 7, 2013 6:44:00 AM

Time to patent round wheels. Apple certainly would be granted THAT patent, apparently!
Score
February 7, 2013 9:39:12 AM

This goes beyond voting with my wallet. This affects me as Android user. I hate it! And I don't even liven in the US.
Score
February 7, 2013 6:07:57 PM

The neonode smartphone with an infrared touch screen was the first phone to have slide to unlock, and that was a few years before the first iphone was out.
Score
February 7, 2013 8:16:36 PM

Meanwhile IBM is patenting legit things at a 10 times faster pace and gains 1/1000th of the media's attention.
Score
Tom’s guide in the world
  • Germany
  • France
  • Italy
  • Ireland
  • UK
Follow Tom’s guide
Subscribe to our newsletter