Iphone slowing down home wifi

maplecrete

Honorable
Nov 29, 2012
My sister recently came to visit and i noticed every time she's on her iphone my wifi becomes dreadfully slow on my desktop. What is the reason for this? As far as I know she isn't actively downloading or uploading, just basic surfing/texting etc.

it could be any number of factors.

first of all, what type and what speed isp can affect network speed.

some people have multiple apps running in the background from weather to news to alerts which will stack with the data usage from what is done in a browser. youtube, netflix and internet radio apps can use an enormous amount of data as well. downloading at the same time....well you get the point.

the first thing to do is to ask what she was doing on your network at the time and what apps she has running.

its rather easy to download a gig of data in a day or over several days from simple things such as youtube, radio and downloading. this would definitely be an impact on slower dsl

maplecrete

Honorable
Nov 29, 2012

Thanks for the reply.

My internet can go up to 150mbps and i usually don't get any kind of slow down unless i download at more than 1mb/s and i highly doubt her iphone is doing anything even close to that.

However, relative to my download speeds my upload speeds is actually very poor and caps at around 100kb/s and slows down my internet considerably with anything past 50 so i assume this is the main cause. Is there anything on the iphone that uploads in the background? I looked around and it seems icloud constantly uploads data so this might be the cause.

I will ask her when she gets home but if anyone knows of any other app or iphone function that uploads in the background please let me know. Sorry but I don't know much about them. Also i should note it isn't just when she's using it, it's basically any time she has it on and connected meaning it definitely is something in the background she most likely isn't aware of.