Nexus 4 power related (220 vs 120)

aaron_s

Honorable
May 17, 2012
I'm currently living in India.
I want to buy the Nexus 4 from the US, through a friend. the problem is that US uses a different power specification compared to India(ie 120V in the US vs 220V in India).
to be precise, I was wondering whether there'll be any problem charging the phone and stuff.

Apanzee

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012
Most phone adapters are rated for voltages between 120-220v. Infact even in America and Canada most homes have 220v input because electric stoves and other appliances require the higher voltage. The houses circuit breaker downgrades the input to 120v for the standard outlets.

You could read this article if you want more reassurance, but the Nexus 4 charger is rated for 100v-240v. http://support.google.com/nexus/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2847222

Solution

aaron_s

Honorable
May 17, 2012
what about the charging orb?
I've checked the playstore and they mention:
Power Adapter (For use in the
United States and Canada only)(for the orb)
What do you think?

Apanzee

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012
I'm not sure about the orb I can't seem to find the relevant info online. Before you purchase one read the box or even open it in the store and take a look at the product itself. On the back there should be a sticker indicating the voltage rating.

Of course if it's not safe to use in your country then I doubt they would even retail it there.

aaron_s

Honorable
May 17, 2012

My dad asked his friend in the USA to get the N4 for me. The N4 doesn't sell in India.
Gotta tell him to ask some retailer, but he most probably will get it through playstore.

Apanzee

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012
If I were you I would just call Google yourself and ask them about it, the number for Nexus support and inquiries is 855-83-NEXUS (855-836-3987). They'll answer any questions you have about the Nexus and any accessories made by Google. They'll be able to tell you if the orb is available where you live, whether or not it's rated for the higher voltages, etc etc.

I can tell you right now though that the Nexus charger itself would work fine there. You might need an adapter if you have differently shaped outlets than America and Canada do. You might also need a DC to AC converter if your power is DC by default. Over here it's AC and that's what the charger runs off - using DC could cause some serious harm. But it's definitely rated for the higher voltages (in AC). I'm just not sure about the wireless charging orb.