Samsung Galaxy S3 Mem Card Error

MenotU2

Honorable
Feb 20, 2013
I have got many different types of Ext Micro SD cards for my Samsung Galaxy S3, yet they ALL register a much smaller size than what the card is rated (about 1/3 to 1/2 of a loss in size). I have tried cards with different sizes, manufactures, and even got the 32 GB and 64 GB SanDisk "faster" red and grey "Ultra Micro SD XC"micro SD External Mem cards, yet they all fail at reading the correct size. I know someone has addressed this issue on Tom's Hardware forum in the past, but I can not find it, so I am asking to start anew.

Do I need to format the card with my Computer to a specific format? Do I need to reboot without the card in the phone 12 times while standing on my head and wiggling my ears (My wife loves it when I get into the position, but that is for a different website) ;-p

What do I need to do to get to use all 64 GB of my 64GB Sandisk Ultra mem card (or any 64GB card) in my Samsung Galaxy S3 (Verizon SCH-I535, running Android 4.1.1)?
Even Verizon reps are clueless.

Sent From "Memory Loss"

inzone

Splendid
The one thing with formating a drive of any type is that you don't actually get to use what is stated as the size of the drive. the formating process is a numbers game and the size of the MB and GB force the end result to be less , plus there is some space reserved for drive data. However when all is said and done you should not be seeing 1/3 or 1/2 but a drive that is 64gb you should see 59.6gb free space. I had a SSD that was 64gb and after formatting it showed 59.6gb
As long as it's new you can try formating it in your computer in a card reader to some of the different format types.

MenotU2

Honorable
Feb 20, 2013
Thank you for your quick response!!!
What would be the best order of trying to format? exFAT, Fat32, and then NTFS (am I missing any other types)? I just don't want to be wasting all night formatting, rebooting and checking size and then finding out that the first one was the best, and having to go back to reformat the card again.
Thanx!