Your question

How to transfer pictures from a phone that wont turn on

Tags:
  • Android
  • Phones
  • Samsung
Last response: in Android Smartphones
February 21, 2013 9:01:42 AM

Is there anyway to retrieve pictures from a samsung galaxy phone that won't turn on? :sweat: 

More about : transfer pictures phone wont turn

a b Ô Samsung
a b Ë Android
February 21, 2013 1:14:05 PM

Generally speaking, all Android phones uses a removable Micro SD card where pictures are saved to. The SD card is typically in the same location where the battery is and you must remove the battery 1st in order to remove the SD card. Consult your manual for more clarification if necessary.

With the micro SD card in hand you can transfer the pictures to a computer/laptop with the following two methods:

1. If your PC has a SD card reader, then you need to use a micro SD to SD card adapter. Simply insert the micro SD card into the adapter, then insert the adapter card into the computer's SD slot.

Here's a link if you need to purchase a SD adapter card:

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-microSD-Memory-Card-Adapt...

2. With the assistance of a friend's Android phone, simply turn off his/her phone. Then replace his/her micro SD card with yours. Turn on the Android phone and connect it to the computer. Choose the option to use the Android phone as a "disk drive" or "storage device" so that you can access the SD card as an external hard drive.

The pictures should be in the "dcim" directory. There may be two folders called "100MEDIA" and "Camera". In any case, all your pictures should be in the "dcim" directory. Simply select all and copy them to your computer.
m
l
July 30, 2013 11:53:51 AM

Is there anyway to transfer the files that are actually stored on the internal memory? My Droid did use a SD card but I never put one in, so all of my files are on the internal memory. The screen is broken to the point that nothing works and the power button will not work. When I plug it into the computer, all I see is the batter charging screen pops up then goes to sleep, I cannot do anything with the phone.
m
l
Related resources
February 3, 2014 7:38:32 PM

Jonny Wolfe said:
Is there anyway to transfer the files that are actually stored on the internal memory? My Droid did use a SD card but I never put one in, so all of my files are on the internal memory. The screen is broken to the point that nothing works and the power button will not work. When I plug it into the computer, all I see is the batter charging screen pops up then goes to sleep, I cannot do anything with the phone.

Jonny Wolfe - I'm having the same problem :(  Did you ever figure out how to do it?
m
l
February 12, 2014 8:21:09 PM

cocknbull said:
Jonny Wolfe said:

Jonny Wolfe - I'm having the same problem :(  Did you ever figure out how to do it?

I am having this issue now too!! Please let me know if you find a solution and I will do the same :) 
m
l
March 22, 2014 8:29:51 PM

did anyone find the solution to this ? i'm now with the same problem.
i have an damage HTC one screen is broken and wont turn on. how can i get the pictures out ?
m
l
June 23, 2014 7:17:40 PM

Anyone knlw how to get my pics back o galaxy s3 since my phone wont turn on?
m
l
October 24, 2014 11:05:51 AM

Hubby had a Samsung S4 which he dropped and cracked the screen which caused screen to not work. When I initially plugged the phone into the computer, nothing happened except charging. So I unplugged phone, took battery out/back in, plugged phone back in to computer, then turned on. It started installing Verizon software, finished, still not able to read files on phone. Waited for a minute or two longer, then it installed software again, and the dialog box with choices of what to do with files on phone popped up. I chose read files, and they all popped up.

Hope this helps.

Marcia
m
l
January 18, 2015 3:22:35 PM

I had no SD card, I got lucky and managed to hook up to my usb port on the computer, download some software and get everything off of my phone, it will turn on, but screen is completely busted, no way to use. Hope this helps
m
l
May 13, 2015 9:11:09 AM

blmavrik said:
I had no SD card, I got lucky and managed to hook up to my usb port on the computer, download some software and get everything off of my phone, it will turn on, but screen is completely busted, no way to use. Hope this helps

What software did you download? Thank you!

m
l
June 19, 2015 3:17:53 PM

Jonny Wolfe said:

Get a "micro" Male USB plug to female 2.0 USB adapter. Plug up to your phone with the male end, and then plug a USB mouse to the female end. WALA, you have access to your phone without using the touch screen. Unlock the phone and once you do, take your phone and plug it into your CPU. Now your files are unlocked and you can now transfer. take care
m
l
October 4, 2015 9:25:15 PM

Just saying, I had the same problem with my s4 but it eventually just started working.

m
l
June 21, 2016 2:47:56 PM

Did anyone find the solution? My LG G4 giving me the same problem. It doesn't get past the welcome LG screen. Not booting at all.
All my happy moments and memories are trapped in there in the form of pictures and videos, Could anyone please help me retrieve them? I didn't back up my data and no SD card used.

Thanks a ton,
Radha
m
l
June 24, 2016 5:44:39 AM

radharamanan said:
Did anyone find the solution? My LG G4 giving me the same problem. It doesn't get past the welcome LG screen. Not booting at all.
All my happy moments and memories are trapped in there in the form of pictures and videos, Could anyone please help me retrieve them? I didn't back up my data and no SD card used.

Thanks a ton,
Radha

That is so weird. My LGG4 just did the same thing last night. I dont understand it!

m
l
June 25, 2016 2:29:05 AM

Isn´t there a way to get out the storage out of the phone and connect this to your computer? My Nexus 5 is also broken and won't turn on, it doesn't appear in my Device manager at all..

So can't you do the same thing like you would do with a broken laptop/computer, just get the hard disk out connect to another computer?
m
l
a b Ô Samsung
a b Ë Android
June 25, 2016 2:55:31 AM

Not unless you have a few grand worth of high-precision SMD soldering equipment.
m
l
August 30, 2016 6:33:32 PM

Jonny Wolfe said:

Dana_20 said:
radharamanan said:

Thanks a ton,
Radha

That is so weird. My LGG4 just did the same thing last night. I dont understand it!

seriously, my LG G4 did the same exact thing. just quit working randomly. wont turn on and wont go past the welcome screen
m
l
September 8, 2016 11:55:16 AM

Dana_20 said:
radharamanan said:

Thanks a ton,
Radha

There has been a problem with lg g4 turning off and not coming back on or just staying on the turn on screen its a common problem you can just take it to your service provider and they should just give you a replacement one, that's what they did for me.
m
l
September 17, 2016 7:58:26 PM

sprout4020 said:
Dana_20 said:
radharamanan said:

Thanks a ton,
Radha

There has been a problem with lg g4 turning off and not coming back on or just staying on the turn on screen its a common problem you can just take it to your service provider and they should just give you a replacement one, that's what they did for me.

My LGG4 is doing the same, I stupidly have not backed up my phone in a few months.. is there any way to get the pictures off of a phone that will not turn on? Not worried about the phone.. I know I can replace that. Just hoping maybe there are places that can extract data or something?
m
l
October 12, 2016 6:50:53 AM

jaguarskx said:
Generally speaking, all Android phones uses a removable Micro SD card where pictures are saved to. The SD card is typically in the same location where the battery is and you must remove the battery 1st in order to remove the SD card. Consult your manual for more clarification if necessary.

With the micro SD card in hand you can transfer the pictures to a computer/laptop with the following two methods:

1. If your PC has a SD card reader, then you need to use a micro SD to SD card adapter. Simply insert the micro SD card into the adapter, then insert the adapter card into the computer's SD slot.

Here's a link if you need to purchase a SD adapter card:

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-microSD-Memory-Card-Adapt...

2. With the assistance of a friend's Android phone, simply turn off his/her phone. Then replace his/her micro SD card with yours. Turn on the Android phone and connect it to the computer. Choose the option to use the Android phone as a "disk drive" or "storage device" so that you can access the SD card as an external hard drive.

The pictures should be in the "dcim" directory. There may be two folders called "100MEDIA" and "Camera". In any case, all your pictures should be in the "dcim" directory. Simply select all and copy them to your computer.

hey everyone. what if my pictures were saved on my cell phone not on the SD card?
another question:
Is there anyway I can find the history of my Android cell phone my Computer?
any tips on how to do that will appreciated.

m
l
January 23, 2017 10:55:00 PM

I made a huge mistake with lumia it wasnt detecting the camera folder on my pcv but would ion win 8. I didnt think to copy each pic a few at a tiime then save to anojer folder etc but had a year to get them of. phone battery jkept dying then eventually boot loop. wouldnt come on no bk up aLL IS ON INTERNAL memory. No way getting off. Deveastated n will never get over this as its at very least 3,000 pics 40gb data
Factory rest may get the phone bk on n running but nio recovery forr win phone n that woyuld recover all data after... Wish there was Id be exstatic...beyond words
m
l
March 14, 2017 6:21:08 AM

Jonny Wolfe said:

I have this problem too.
I can still connect my android phone to my PC, but due to its cracked screen, I am unable to access my phone's files and give permission to my PC through my phone.
Is there any other way?
m
l
June 14, 2017 12:21:47 PM

David Snider said:
Jonny Wolfe said:

Get a "micro" Male USB plug to female 2.0 USB adapter. Plug up to your phone with the male end, and then plug a USB mouse to the female end. WALA, you have access to your phone without using the touch screen. Unlock the phone and once you do, take your phone and plug it into your CPU. Now your files are unlocked and you can now transfer. take care

How do you access the files if the touchscreen won't work? Don't you need to hit 'allow' for the computer to access the files?
m
l
July 5, 2017 8:42:25 AM

radharamanan said:

Thanks a ton,
Radha

IM HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM. im thinking of calling LG themselves and seeing what we can do :( 
m
l
September 19, 2017 6:16:17 PM

Did, anyway find out the answer? I have a galaxy note 5 and the charging port is broke and wont charge the phone. I lost my dad 3 years ago and all of my pictures of us together are on the phone and I dont know how to get those off of the phone. I am afraid that I am going to lose these pictures forever. My phone doesn not have an sd slot.
m
l
September 27, 2017 5:31:38 PM

cocknbull said:
Jonny Wolfe said:

mine is the same way...
m
l
September 27, 2017 5:32:26 PM

mine is the same way .help
m
l
September 27, 2017 9:10:52 PM

If you have any google account connected on your phone most of your files should be backed on google and whatever service provider you go through.
m
l
October 31, 2017 12:18:46 PM

Staceface138 said:
sprout4020 said:
Dana_20 said:
radharamanan said:

Thanks a ton,
Radha

My LGG4 is doing the same, I stupidly have not backed up my phone in a few months.. is there any way to get the pictures off of a phone that will not turn on? Not worried about the phone.. I know I can replace that. Just hoping maybe there are places that can extract data or something?

Has anyone figured this out please as mine has just done the same and iv lost all the pictures of my kids. I've searched my google account but cant find them on there. please help.
m
l
November 22, 2017 9:43:23 PM

I think your best bet will be a local cell phone repairman soldering a new charger port to the phone's board. I have a note 5 also. I HATE that it has no SD card slot. They were thinking cloud storage would really take off (as you can tell by the factory installed Google drive and Google photos apps on our notes), but it doesn't work great because you have no access to them if you're out of range of a cell tower, simply don't have the cell service paid up/on, or no WiFi spot is available. You'd think some of the smartest engineers on the planet that work for these electronics manufacturers would know that up front. They learned though, as the newer devices have that SD card back again.
m
l
Tom’s guide in the world
  • Germany
  • France
  • Italy
  • Ireland
  • UK
Follow Tom’s guide
Subscribe to our newsletter
  • add to twitter
  • add to facebook