Emerging Technology 08: Your Tomorrow Today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rondil

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2007
I predict the next BIG thing will be wearable computers. Start with an extremely low power processor like the CN processor. Next use the new mousing technology that uses 3 different sensors and lets you mouse in 3D (search 3d mouse). Add wireless technology so that you can access the Internet and your home computer. Now add some of the very slick new vision technology (search HMD). Finish it up with the knee charger that was in the news recently and you have a computer thats with you always and that you can access anywhere. (search energy-capturing knee brace)

G

"the average American uses 12,000 watts a year, which is the equivalent of 120 100-watt light bulbs running 24 hours a day all year long"

I think he means that the constant power demand of an average American is 12kW. Then the total energy consumption of an American becomes ~105MWh/y

G

Can the author please correct his basic physics errors that mix up energy (measured e.g. in kWh) and power (could be measured in Watts).

HerbCSO

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2004
OK, is it just me or does the entire section on "Predicting the future with crowds" seem entirely too much like Hari Seldon's psychohistory from Isaac Asimov's Foundation series?

G

"We also cannot accurately assess the impact of CO2 emission on the climate because we don?t have a powerful enough computer to model the entire climate."

So why are we spending billions on reducing CO2 emissions? We aren't even sure they have anything to do with anything. ...just another liberal money pit.

Status
Not open for further replies.