Microsoft's Project Mojave: Changing The Perceptions Of Windows Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

More mindless dribble? When will Tom's stop catering to Apple.

kman7607

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
I wouldnt say that they are catering to anyone. They use SJ as an example of how perceptions influence buyers. I dont think they are biased towards one side or the other and I think that they did a nice job with this article. They listed 3 solid examples of the power of perception (coke vs. Pepsi, SJ and Apple, and Mojave).

demonR6

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
Here lies the problem, MS has this focus group where they showed them Vista and they loved it. But, we all know MS pulled out the stops to make darn sure this focus group saw the absolute best performing, flawless functioning piece of software known to man. Like any presentation a salesman makes, they pull out the cream of the crop and they present you a with a turd sandwich, but make it look like a filet mignon. They probably also made sure this focus group didn't do anything ridiculous.. like use it, where they would have a chance to experience one of the many endearing qualities inherent to Vista such as unexplained crashes where the computer reboots or hard lock-ups that force you to reboot.

Of my two machines, one runs Vista Business 64 and the other has a build of Linux Mandriva One. Guess which one doesn't lock up on me when I am listening to music or playing a game? Go ahead, go out on a limb and take a wild guess? Even having to use Cedega to emulate and play a Windows built game (Guild Wars) I have less problems than when I use Vista to play Lord of the Rings: Shadows of Angmar. The only reason I use the turd to play that game is solely for the DX10 so I can experience the eye candy. Even then the turd locks up or restarts on a whim without so much as an explanation in the event log. How many of you love the cryptic 'I have no idea what the &$#* just happened that caused me to crash' message that still plagues Vista?

Next focus group let the participants have their hand at using the OS so they can experience something really memorable.

Great article but at the end of the day a turd is still a turd, smoke and mirrors will never make it a filet mignon.

/end rant

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
I think everyone who reads tomshardware knows how stable and resourceful Linux is. However, I don't think apple should have been in the thread, they are a ripoff. For the same price you pay for a PC that can run Vista well, you can't find a mac at all (they don't price 'em that low).

G

My experience with Vista since SP1 has been flawless. It feels polished and runs everything I throw at it smoothly. I haven't had to reboot my machine (except for updates that require it) for months. I can understand the initial bad rap, but MS has done a great job of taking care to address the inital problems. Additionally, the hardware required ot run Vista smoothly has become extremely affordable. I'd recommend it to anyone. I believe the bad perception is truely outdated.

Status
Not open for further replies.