Man in Vegetative State Uses MRI to Communicate

Status
Not open for further replies.

igot1forya

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2008
The headline is misleading...

The man does not use the MRI machine... his doctor's use the machine. The man simply responds to yes or no questions from the doctors.

G

This actually scares me a bit. I'd be horrified if my body couldn't do anything but my mind was still concious.

zanraptora

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2009
This is impressive... If this works the way it is supposed to... Then this opens up a whole new ballgame for the rehabilitation of vegetative humans. However... I worry that this might also bring up the dangerous question about our previous treatment of unresponsive humans.

kyeana

Distinguished
May 21, 2008
[citation][nom]Igot1forya[/nom]The headline is misleading...The man does not use the MRI machine... his doctor's use the machine. The man simply responds to yes or no questions from the doctors.[/citation]

"Man in Vegetative State" didn't give it away that he wasn't the one using the machine???

igot1forya

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2008
[citation][nom]kyeana[/nom]"Man in Vegetative State" didn't give it away that he wasn't the one using the machine???[/citation]
hehe I do many things in a vegetative state, it's practically my default :)

Lewis57

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2009
Oddly enough, i was talking to my sister about this last week, saying how weird it would be if it was possible...

kavic

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
Well Its a good thing. Think about it like this if all people who go into coma's are put through this process on a regular basis it would help to figure out if that person is really aware or completely comatose. It would suck to be sitting in that bed for years while being aware of whats going on even if its just slightly aware it would still be hell. So if something like this becomes common practice it greatly help people who are stuck in there bodies unable to do anything other than think.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
"Mr. Gobbenhouser, you are in a vegetative state and the best you can hope for the foreseeable future is answer yes or no with this machine. Would you like me to put you out of your misery?"

I'm being cynical, but it might be a great step in medical history.

figgie

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
What I think is more intresting.

The MRI of the patient... that is a lot of "space" in that MRI compared to the control.....

Scotteq

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2007
Interesting...

Though it does have me wondering about the effects of repeated/long term exposure to MRI radiation. Though one may suppose the 'volunteers' won't be complaining.

neblogai

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2007
If patient is able to answer questions, it means brain is working- for one thing, he might want to listen to radio, and second thing, he could probably control stuff if sensors were implanted into his brain.

pink315

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
[citation][nom]Igot1forya[/nom]The headline is misleading...The man does not use the MRI machine... his doctor's use the machine. The man simply responds to yes or no questions from the doctors.[/citation]

Hes communicating through it, that means hes using it.

Status
Not open for further replies.