Distinguished
Aug 23, 2009
[citation][nom]someguyperson[/nom]What do you do with the other leg?[/citation]
just wear normal flippers I suppose

micr0be

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009
[citation][nom]ngom52[/nom]just wear normal flippers I suppose[/citation]

you can't put a flipper in the other leg, the reason is that the disproportion will create a rotational force, if i'm not mistaking.

this design looks to compensate for the missing leg. thus adding a flipper to the unamputated leg will render the concept useless.

scifi9000

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2010
comedy? Hardly! Have you seen the amputee runners with the clever prosthetic foot design that is beating conventional runners. It's that good it's being banned in conventional games dut to an unfair diadvantage. This sory of development will lead to ultimate cyborgs. Just a brain in a machine...

skykaptain

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
When I was on the swim team there was a guy that wore something like this, less high tech. He wasn't fast but you gotta give him credit for doing the things he wanted to do.

you can't put a flipper in the other leg, the reason is that the disproportion will create a rotational force, if i'm not mistaking.

If you used a smaller flipper on the normal it would work. You'd also have to alter your entire kick anyways but it would be possible. Breaststroke would be interesting without the final flick of your feet but freestyle and butterfly would be fine.

Dkz

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
Few weeks ago some group launched their first prosthetic fully functional handed arm, with lots of regular and most useful moves for a hand. And Its old news that there is a pair of prosthetic hands which actually can feel, yes FEEL(a guy who lost both arms in an electric accident is testing those). Prosthetics legs have being around for a while and keep improving.
We just need to wait for brighter future to those who are born with problems such a malformation and they can actually choose to use one of this prosthetics to enrich their lives in ways that wasn't possible without them. And of course accident victims to regain what they may have lost.

G

considering the liners you still would have to wear in the water run $500-700 each and are VERY succceptable to chlorine and salt damage this fin is not really an acceptable option unless you are very well off.....

Kelavarus

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
Soon we'll get to the age where amputation won't be seen as a handicap at all, but merely the path for an upgrade, and it will become a voluntary procedure.

G

It's probably best just to cut the other leg off, and be fitted for two fins.

Status
Not open for further replies.