NASA's Other Side of the Amazing 11500x11500 Blue Marble

Status
Not open for further replies.

vittau

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2010
It's no big deal, if you've ever used OrbiterSim with the high-res Earth textures you've seen this before. It's not like this is an actual photo anyway, it's a montage...

geekapproved

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
Wow amazing how this entire part of the planet is turning into desert.

If you looked at that pic 20yrs ago there was a lot more greenery in Africa, especially near the river delta.

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
[citation][nom]geekapproved[/nom]Wow amazing how this entire part of the planet is turning into desert.If you looked at that pic 20yrs ago there was a lot more greenery in Africa, especially near the river delta.[/citation]

The pictures were taken during winter yo.

sandmanwn

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2006
[citation][nom]geekapproved[/nom]Wow amazing how this entire part of the planet is turning into desert.If you looked at that pic 20yrs ago there was a lot more greenery in Africa, especially near the river delta.[/citation]
You have misinterpreted the photo. According to the Western Hemisphere shots, Canada and the US have the same desert wasteland appearance as Saudi Arabia, which we know isn't correct.

VIIRS, the instrument taking the photos, is designed to focus on the atmosphere and accentuate things like clouds and aerosols, it is NOT meant to be a color accurate representation of ground foliage.

jecastej

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
It may not be accurate in color but it is taken from our planet these days and the high resolution brings a greater sense of dimension. Try to see what you can get from it and don't discredit the image for not being all it could be.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]vittau[/nom]It's no big deal, if you've ever used OrbiterSim with the high-res Earth textures you've seen this before. It's not like this is an actual photo anyway, it's a montage...[/citation]

Yeah, you are right. And of course your 'textures', wherever they came from, are not a montage.
Jesus, some folks just want to talk down everything; and that's from Mr. Glass Half Empty.

TEAMSWITCHER

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
Is there anyone out there that can examine this image with special software to find out if it has been digitally color enhanced. I would really like to know if it was.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]greghome[/nom]well, I think 1/3 of Asia is visible in the pic, there's Arabia, India, Persia, and Burma is slightly visible. Don't mind me, I\m a Geography nerd...[/citation]
Yeah but 1/3 isn't 1... :(

draphius

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2011
is it just me or do these pictures not make sense. theres no way thats one half of our earth, more like a qaurter of it in that pic. how much photoshop did nasa use to make these pics and y cant nasa ever give us unedited pics. srsly just look at that pic, the UK would be in the north pole, russia would wrap almost all the way around the backside of the earth and there would be no room left for north and south america. let alone the oceans that divide them. screw nasa they are worse then apple at creating a false reality.

Status
Not open for further replies.