Wikimedia Foundation Starts Switching away From GoDaddy

Status
Not open for further replies.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
Good job Wikimedia. Show them the cost of corruption and others won't be so eager to jump behind the MPAA and their attempts to legislate higher profits.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
got to love conviction.... wow i have used that word allot lately... anyway, anyone know how much this will hurt godaddy? i mean i would love it if they went under, but i doubt they are big enough alone to do that.

erunion

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011
[citation][nom]JamesSneed[/nom]This won't really hurt GoDaddy much. [/citation]

Ever seen a snow ball rolling down a slope?

G

/clap good for them, and everyone else who followed through.

G

Business should stay out of Politics, and Politicians should get out of the way of business...
Hollywood needs to do the same. I'll never watch another Tom Hanks movie again.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
The only language understood by management... quarterly sales reports.

You do something that effects their sales and they start listening to you ! :)

G

Ironically, this is why I like GoDaddy.. they actually listen to their customers. Ever try getting anything changed at DreamHost or Moniker? Schyeah, fat chance. I moved all of my domains (close to 60) to GoDaddy for this reason.

smithereen

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2008
I don't like Wikipedia taking a political stand. Doesn't that kind of go against the idea of being an open, NPOV encyclopedia?

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Godaddy sucks as a company. I don't recommend ANYONE use them.

1) A client bought a 2nd domain through them (without telling me) - because another Registar is bad at English and their support is bad (joker.com). ie: we couldn't get control of their domain because of an email change, lost password. The domain has a ".net" address.

So the plan was to let the domain expire then buy it again with someone else. Its a very small business with an obscure family name.

2) But before my client could re-buy his domain.... GODADDY stole the domain and offers to sell it back for $280!? WTF?! GoDaddy is a domain hoarder / stealer - simple as that. Their prices suck, their service sucks, their business ethics slut.

3) My client is NOT paying godaddy a red cent.

4) I wish the very worst for GoDaddy, easily an evil company.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
[citation][nom]Drak3[/nom]Ironically, this is why I like GoDaddy.. they actually listen to their customers.[/citation]
GoDaddy is a scam-artist company.
I REPEAT! DO NOT even do domain searches with Godaddy... they will just buy it themselves and lock you out unless you pay for it.

randomizer

Distinguished
[citation][nom]smithereen[/nom]I don't like Wikipedia taking a political stand. Doesn't that kind of go against the idea of being an open, NPOV encyclopedia?[/citation]

Wikipedia is not taking a political stand. It's a website; it doesn't have views. The Wikimedia Foundation which owns the domain (and several others) is taking a political stand. As a charitable organisation and not an encyclopaedia I don't think that's extraordinary.

[citation][nom]belardo[/nom]So the plan was to let the domain expire then buy it again with someone else. Its a very small business with an obscure family name.2) But before my client could re-buy his domain.... GODADDY stole the domain and offers to sell it back for $280!? WTF?! GoDaddy is a domain hoarder / stealer - simple as that.[/citation]

That is not theft, the domain was unregistered and thus could be bought by anybody. I could have bought it. Now I don't think that GoDaddy was making a good ethical decision to go and buy it, but this is how the domain industry works. The solution is to not let your domain expire (and the Registrant is given more than ample time to prevent that happening). However, it's the Registrant's responsibility to keep their contact email address up to date. Unfortunately, most don't realise that, especially if they are a small business that had their website built and domain registered by another company on their behalf.

Status
Not open for further replies.