Windows Surface RT Jailbreak Tool Released

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shin-san

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2006
I've been liking Microsoft's stance on jailbreaking. Also, Windows RT actually needed to be jailbroken. I would love the idea of an open tablet platform

fleeb

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2007
Good now we can get out of the chroot jail in this Windows device and escalate privileges. Good thing it is now easier to break out of the jail of these Unix-like OS devices.

G

I think that locking it down is a defensive strategy and allows them to not take heat from apps that are potentially malicious being installed. They can always say "Hey, we tried to protect you, so don't blame us for what happened."

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
[citation][nom]Peter_V[/nom]I think that locking it down is a defensive strategy and allows them to not take heat from apps that are potentially malicious being installed. They can always say "Hey, we tried to protect you, so don't blame us for what happened."[/citation]
That would be true, but look at Apple's App Store. One can find malicious apps even in that legitimate source, so that is NOT a guarantee.
Bottom line is, let the consumer decide what they want to put on their device. If they want to take chances, up to them. If not, give them the information and let them take action (or not).

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
Now if Microsoft would just let people run desktop apps in the first place, Windows RT would probably be doing a lot better. Who didn't see this coming, anyway?

thecolorblue

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
"From the statement that Microsoft's released, it doesn't seem like an urgent issue for the company."

...due to the lackluster interest in the devices and dismal sales

blazorthon

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
[citation][nom]livebriand[/nom]Now if Microsoft would just let people run desktop apps in the first place, Windows RT would probably be doing a lot better. Who didn't see this coming, anyway?[/citation]

That's like complaining about being unable to run Windows apps on iOS. They're very different operating systems and they're used on different CPU instruction set architectures that are not inter-compatible. Even if MS put the huge effort into making it possible, it'd work with a big performance hit on an already limited ARM SoC.

blazorthon

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010

Sure, it's not a guarantee, but it's pretty close. That has to count for something. If the consumer wants to put something not validated on their device, then they have that option through "jailbreaking".

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
Hah Microsoft never really cared about Windows being pirated, i don't think they'll ever seriously mind it being jailbroken either. They might have provided for it, like that GTA Hot Coffee mod.

Pinhedd

Distinguished
[citation][nom]livebriand[/nom]Now if Microsoft would just let people run desktop apps in the first place, Windows RT would probably be doing a lot better. Who didn't see this coming, anyway?[/citation]

There are no ARM desktop apps you twat. If you want to run x86 applications, get a Surface Pro in a few weeks

sna

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2010
we need some one to install android on the windows RT tablets and vice versa ... they got the same hardware ... the drivers are there and ready ...

Id love to dual boot my Tablet. and I dont want to buy another SAME nvidia Tegra tablet just to get windows RT ...

I wish MS releases windows RT :(

eodeo

Distinguished
May 29, 2007
Why implement something that is DESIGNED to be jailbroken? Its like DRM- making life worse for the honest paying customers everywhere, while pirates use the better version for free.

I dont blame the DRM developers for developing poor DRM, I blame whoever got the idea to implement it in their software.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]eodeo[/nom]Why implement something that is DESIGNED to be jailbroken?[/citation]
So that people won't complain about unsafe ecosystems while enthusiasts willing to jailbreak can do so?

eodeo

Distinguished
May 29, 2007
So that people won't complain about unsafe ecosystems while enthusiasts willing to jailbreak can do so?

Possible. However, I don't recall anyone ever complaining about windows being too open and able to run more software than all the other platforms combined. Anyone willing to publish a windows thing, was able to and still can do so.

I can see why would Apple impose such a ridiculous concept on its own users, but MS?

Pinhedd

Distinguished
[citation][nom]sna[/nom]we need some one to install android on the windows RT tablets and vice versa ... they got the same hardware ... the drivers are there and ready ...Id love to dual boot my Tablet. and I dont want to buy another SAME nvidia Tegra tablet just to get windows RT ...I wish MS releases windows RT[/citation]

One of the biggest advantages of the x86 architecture is that it has an extremely mature firmware standard (BIOS and EFI/UEFI) and bootstrap. ARM doesn't have a standard bootstrap so each vendor may do it a bit differently. This means that it won't be as easy to boot Windows RT on multiple ARM devices as it will be to boot Windows 8 on multiple x86 devices.

blazorthon

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
[citation][nom]eodeo[/nom]Possible. However, I don't recall anyone ever complaining about windows being too open and able to run more software than all the other platforms combined. Anyone willing to publish a windows thing, was able to and still can do so.I can see why would Apple impose such a ridiculous concept on its own users, but MS?[/citation]

Apple didn't do anything like how MS is handling it. Apple tries to make jailbreaking illegal. I don't have any love for MS, but it's only fair to give them some credit. Anyone who cares about putting non-MS approved applications on their Windows tablets would be more than willing to spend a few seconds to do so and anyone who doesn't care about it would benefit from an extra layer of security. It seems like a win win situation to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.