Keyboard "locked?"

georgencopy

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2003
The latest error is "Keyboard not detected. Keyboard failure." I checked my keyboard on a second PC and the problem is not the keyboard.

Mr_Nuke

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2004
"Error. No keyboard detected. Press F1 to continue."
You're lucky not to get that. Is ut the first time it happens? have you used it on that mobo before? Has anything happened recently to the keyboard?

georgencopy

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2003
Keyboard is fine. Tested it on another PC. Mouse is also fine. Both are PS/2. Here's what happened. I recently did some routine maintenance using my Systemworks bundle, defragged a drive, and updated my virus protections. Worked for awhile with no problems. Next day, I noticed that there was a delay between what I typed and what appeared on screen. Everything else (mouse speed, application launching, file saving, etc.) worked fine. I restarted. Keyboard was still slow. Restarted again. Got the "Keyboard error. Keyboard not detected" message. Pushing "delete" to enter setup does nothing.

jihiggs

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2001
how can you be sure the kb works on the other computer? did you do anything with it or just see if it would boot?

wpdclan.com cs game server - 64.246.52.144:27015
now featuring (optional) cheating death!

georgencopy

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2003
Update.
(Short answer to jihigg's question is "yes," longer answer is at the end)

VComm SystemSuite is the culprit.

I rebooted with a rescue diskette.
Rolled the system back.
Rebooted to my HD.
Got a Windows Sys 32 error message with I reported.
It brought up Microsoft's site which informed me that this might have been a Blaster worm.
I did some typing to test the system in Word and IE--no problems.
Then I scanned for the Blaster worm with SystemSuite's Deep Scan Utility.
No worm was detected, but as soon as the scan was done, my keyboard slowed down to a crawl.

I rolled back the system.
Rebooted.
Got the keyboard not detected/keyboard failure error.

Now I can't reboot with my rescue diskette.
(And obviously I can't hit the F1 key to get into setup.)
Is it possible that another boot diskette will get me in again?

Thanks.

Longer Answer to jihigg's Question:
I rebooted the second PC with each keyboard. You have to type your login password, so as soon as I did that I knew the keyboards worked because there was no delay between typing and something appearing on screen. I also tried typing some URL's in IE, and some random sentences in Word.

georgencopy

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2003
Update.
(Short answer to jihigg's question is "yes," longer answer is at the end)

VComm SystemSuite is the culprit.

I rebooted with a rescue diskette.
Rolled the system back.
Rebooted to my HD.
Got a Windows Sys 32 error message which I reported.
It brought up Microsoft's site which informed me that this might have been a Blaster worm.
I did some typing to test the system in Word and IE--no problems.
Then I scanned for the Blaster worm with SystemSuite's Deep Scan Utility.
No worm was detected, but as soon as the scan was done, my keyboard slowed down to a crawl.

I rolled back the system.
Rebooted.
Got the keyboard not detected/keyboard failure error.

Now I can't reboot with my rescue diskette.
(And obviously I can't hit the F1 key to get into setup.)
Is it possible that another boot diskette will get me in again?

Thanks.

Longer Answer to jihigg's Question:
I rebooted the second PC with each keyboard. You have to type your login password, so as soon as I did that I knew the keyboards worked because there was no delay between typing and something appearing on screen. I also tried typing some URL's in IE, and some random sentences in Word.

Zoron

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2002
Getting this error repeatedly with a known good keyboard usually means one of two things: 1) Port is screwed. 2) Keyboard controller is shot.

Check the PS/2 ports on the mobo. Make sure none of the solder joints are broken. Make sure the connector is not loose.

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>