BlackBerry Torch 2 Features 1.2GHz Processor

Status
Not open for further replies.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
only problem is other than opening some apps faster, you wont notice the added speed since all apps were designed for some of the slowest devices.

it is like upgrading from a core 2 to a core i7 and expecting a game of pong to run smoother.

it is great they they are catching up in hardware but the software has not caught up yet.
then it also opens the whole system requirement problem where when new apps come out designed for the new device, it will have the whole windows mobile problem where all apps will have a long list of system requirements when they are slightly demanding.

jerreece

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
I'm fairly certain BlackBerry will lose me this go around. Frankly, the Droid Bionic, and the Thunderbolt both sound pretty awesome. Too bad Motorola is giving AT&T the Atrix 4G (Bionic with 1GB RAM basically). Stupid move.

fatalshot808

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
[citation][nom]JOSHSKORN[/nom]No 8 MP camera? No thanks.[/citation]
Why do you need a 8 Megapixel camera on a cell phone? You do realize that higher megapixel doesn't always mean a better picture right?? Usually when you have too much MP on a such a small sensor it actually degrades the picture. Most high end compacts usually are around 10MP while the entry levels are around 14mp or so, I wonder why. Basically the higher the megapixel the less light hits each sensor which adds more to image noise which is much more noticable when using such a small sensor.

jodpel

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009
Attention Research in Motion: 2002 called and wants it's phone back. Too little too late. It looks like a Droid and smells like an iPhone but there are no apps worth talking about. Half of the useful things for a Blackberry are Java apps which are slow, have a clunky interface and don't work very well. The only people carrying these things are business people who can't get the company to spring for a good phone.

I'm not trying to disrespect Blackberry users although it looks that way. If you are a messaging focused person, this is an awesome device. The problem is 90% of us are playing games, surfing the internet, updating our profile on social networks, and generally being linked into the 21st century with our phones. If all you want to do is make calls, sms, and read emails this is a pretty awesome phone. RIM seems completely left behind to me. It's like they put their stick in the mud in 2002 and said "this is all anyone will ever use a phone for and we're all done innovating now." Oh and no one will ever need more than 640Kb of RAM and the internet is just a fad.

Everyone I work with who carries a Blackberry falls into two categories:
1. They can't get approval to get a good phone from the company so they are stuck with it because they are too cheap to pay for their own phone service.
2. They are older users who can barely handle technology and can't imagine why anyone would use a phone to do anything but text, send email message, or talk.

It's like the designers at RIM haven't even picked up an Android phone and played around with it for ten minutes to see what the kids are up to these days.

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
Um jodpel i have a storm 2 and i can do all the things you mentioned about people being linked to the 21st century. though i have yet to find a game on a phone worth playing and even though i can do it social networking imo is just a retarded fad i hope dies soon. At least for me bb has all the apps i want. the only thing i care to do is run eve online on my phone :) thats the only app i really care about anyways. so far no phone does that unless you want to count vpn which isnt really running it on your phone anyways.

But like cmal said bb isnt a kiddy toy like the apple thing or the faddy sporting android phone. though i can say i miss the google navigation but thats about it. oo and sky map.. the rest was just a bunch of gimmick that wore off really fast.

officeguy

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2009
I remember reaching the 1 GHz for the PC not really so long ago. It was a pretty big deal. Now cell phones have that kind of power in peoples pocket. What would Alexander Graham Bell think?

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]Razor512[/nom]only problem is other than opening some apps faster, you wont notice the added speed since all apps were designed for some of the slowest devices.it is like upgrading from a core 2 to a core i7 and expecting a game of pong to run smoother.it is great they they are catching up in hardware but the software has not caught up yet.then it also opens the whole system requirement problem where when new apps come out designed for the new device, it will have the whole windows mobile problem where all apps will have a long list of system requirements when they are slightly demanding.[/citation]

Or any game (read: console port) for that matter. My Q6600 is still kicking with a single GTX 570... Im almost lying to myself in order to change it.

Todays gaming industry (especially Activision): destroying quality one device at a time!

scrumworks

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
And still looks fugly. Only good thing seems to be the processor. Rest of the specs are from stone age. My N8 is peta band, has bluetooth 3.0, USB 2.0 on-the-go, A-GPS, 12Mpix camera, HDMI,...

captaincharisma

Distinguished
[citation][nom]TommySch[/nom]Or any game (read: console port) for that matter. My Q6600 is still kicking with a single GTX 570... Im almost lying to myself in order to change it.Todays gaming industry (especially Activision): destroying quality one device at a time![/citation]

yep still have my 3yr old q6600 PC with 4GB of ram and a Geforce 8800 GPU and still had no problems playing the latest games and have had no slowdown what so ever

G

If you value Customer opinions about this, go to http://tinyurl.com/aaidemo, enter the product name or number like "Blackberry Torch 9800" and click on "Submit" button. The system will aggregate and analyze customer reviews to calculate the reputation metrics for you and will let you read the reviews if you want to. I know they had extensive research on smart phones and published pretty amazing results in their blog section, however if you don't find specific model, let them know and they will get the results within few hours. Pretty cool and free!

tipoo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
Late Q3 this year...You realize by then that we'll have dual core Cortex A9 phones at this clock speed or higher. If this is true, it will be MORE behind in the processor from than the Torch 1, not less.

ben850

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
[citation][nom]tipoo[/nom]Late Q3 this year...You realize by then that we'll have dual core Cortex A9 phones at this clock speed or higher. If this is true, it will be MORE behind in the processor from than the Torch 1, not less.[/citation]

Honestly, who cares? Battery life for smartphones is almost guaranteed in the trash at launch. Screaming for a faster CPU than what's provided already is only justifiable if you sit in the house all day and can have it plugged into the wall.

adamboy64

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
Looks pretty nice.

I gasped when I read '8GB .... memory'.. then I realised you meant storage.
Bit concerning we need to wait for Q3 for this... the specs will be slightly more outdated.
Oh well.

tipoo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
[citation][nom]ben850[/nom]Honestly, who cares? Battery life for smartphones is almost guaranteed in the trash at launch. Screaming for a faster CPU than what's provided already is only justifiable if you sit in the house all day and can have it plugged into the wall.[/citation]

And that might have some sway with me if the Torch actually had better battery life than 1GHz phones of today, but thats not the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.