Create a Wireless Network Using Wall Outlets

Status
Not open for further replies.

festerovic

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
This is a great idea, but they've had similar products for almost twenty years. My experience with similar products was that you only got the max bandwidth if your power wires were really clean. I can't imagine this would work well in an office environment. Time for some testing.

G

why is this news? from 2002; there's an article on PCworld for HomePlugs, doin the same damn thing.

jhcruser

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2010
DirecTV uses the power-lines for there HD DVR to play shows on any normal receiver in the house. I didn't have any trouble with it in my house although it was a newer house (2006). I later bought two $40 buffalo routers to hook both of them up to my wireless network and internet and transfer HD video that way. I liked the reliability of the power lines better, had several issues like having to reboot routers and so forth using the wireless instead of the power lines. The receivers wouldn't let me use both.

casperstouch

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
I is using a Point to Point secure system not just broadcasting the internet through the power lines. It is then using that secure connection on the other side to broadcast a WiFi signal. This 200Mbps would be a good alternative to stream netflix to your PS3 faster then any WiFi as you can connect directly to the secured router. This would bypass running a separate Ethernet cable if you router is located in another part of the house then the PS3. The $109 on each end does seem high. I will stick with the cable myself.

warmon6

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
Wow, looks like some people missed the point. Yeah what this tech needs is a wall outlet. Nothing new.

Although most of you seamed to of overlooked was the wireless part...........

toughbook

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2009
Plaster Networks has the best one's out in my opinion. They are extremley fast, stable, and easy to use. You don't have to push no steakin button! You also can go into a web browser and look at your complete network and see all the info you will ever need. They are awseome. and alot cheaper than these.

Anomalyx

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
I can extend my wireless network with a power outlet too... plug in a router, flash with dd-wrt, and set it up to be a bridge/repeater. And it doesn't even used that power outlet networking fad crap. Why would I want my power outlets to be my network? So some random guy can come plug his laptop into my Christmas lights and breach my network?

mavroxur

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2009
[citation][nom]G00fySmiley[/nom]pre 2002... i had wall outlets for me and my sister to play unreal in different rooms back in 2000 and it was old tech then[/citation]

[citation][nom]2real[/nom]old technology is old[/citation]

[citation][nom]readothersitesfirst[/nom]why is this news? from 2002; there's an article on PCworld for HomePlugs, doin the same damn thing.[/citation]

So you had 200mbit powerline networking back in 2002? By that rationale, I suppose all news articles relating to processors are old news, since we've had the Intel 4004 CPU since 1971. They're all basically the same, right?

Failed comments are failed.

G

Be aware that if you have a home security system and a digital phone that runs through your cable modem you may not be able to use a power line networking setup at all. I had to dismantle mine when we went from a land line phone to digital setup. The power line plugs interfered with the alarm system.

jrnyfan

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
This is old tech with a new coat of bad paint. It never took hold previously because this is bad tech. You are using something (power grid in your home) for something it wasn't intended for (internet traffic) and people are surprised when it doesn't work.

palladin9479

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2008
This is new tech based on an old concept, there is a difference between the two. The new part is that it is running at 200Mbit through the internal power-lines and using an encrypted point to point tunneled connection between your router / gateway and the access point. For small houses or simple network layouts this is unnecessary as your Linksys / D-Link router + access point device is all you'll need, but for larger multifloor houses this is a god send. Have the internet gateway device + access point (not always the same thing) down in the office or network closet (if you have one) then use one of the Trendnets to create another access point upstairs and / or at the other side of the house. I would like to know if multiple power-line access points can run off the same gateway-side adapter, then you could use a single adapter to run 2~3 different power-line access points to reach upstairs / basement / porch outside and so forth, all running at 200Mbps (assuming clean internal power).

You ~could~ try to use WDS to chain the wireless access-points together but then you run into some serious problems. First being that WDS transmissions are done at layer 2 and will draw from the same bandwidth pool available to the clients. It effectively halves your available bandwidth as each broadcast from one side much be repeated to the other. The next problem with WDS is that it must be in-range of the next AP, and the signal must be strong so they have to be relatively close to each other. This would restrict the locations you could drop WDS repeaters and you would be forced to use a whole lot more of them scattered throughout the house. Honestly WDS really isn't good for internal housing, its more of a distributed network concept. The best implementation of WDS I saw was when a friend of mine used a WRT-54G v3.0, flashed DD-WRT to it and connected two customized parabolic antennas. Using WDS he was able to get a clean signal at over 500 meters on one side and repeat that signal to another system at 200+ meters along with providing a seamless connection to his internal network.

In short, this power-line AP seems preferable to extending network service across a house that has many dead spots and concrete walls along with multiple floors. It does the back-end connection across the power-line which leaves the wireless bandwidth open for device use and bypass's wireless restrictions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS