PLEASE Do Not Text While Driving

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
It's not text messaging that is the problem - distractions are. Talking on cell phones, watching TV/DVD, and trying to control kids/pets also causes accidents.

G

"done text and drive"

am i high or did you mean "don't"?

ps. i am ;)

jerreece

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
Texting while driving, in my opinion, is much worse than talking while driving. Holding your phone and chatting verbally takes much less concentration than trying to text with one thumb while driving.

I had the urge to update my Facebook status while driving yesterday. But I pulled over and stopped to do so. :)

Anomalyx

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
Why is texting always getting the spotlight? It has been shown time and time again that nearly every distraction is created equal. The only difference, distraction-wise, between texting and changing the air conditioning is that texting takes longer.
Plus, becoming illegal has made it more dangerous. I have 2 examples. The first is that now everyone who texts will be holding their phone much lower so that it is out of sight, rather than holding it up by the windshield, where periferal vision could still help spot stuff in time. The second isn't really texting, but phones in general. I once had someone honk and yell at me to put the phone down, while at full speed on the freeway. He then came extremely close to rear-ending the car in front of him because he was too busy yelling at me. What was I doing that warranted getting honked at? Plugging my headset into my phone because a call was coming in (aka following the law).
My point is that this whole anti-texting campaign is like trying to stop world hunger by feeding 4 bums downtown. Sure, it contributes, but it's nowhere close to solving the real problem (human stupidity, in the case of texting and most-but-not-all distracted driving incidents).

rbarone69

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
If this changes the mind of even one person this is worth it. It's horrible to think about the concequences of compulsive communication while driving but the threat is real. So much education goes into drinking and driving but so little, comparatively, to DISTRACTED driving.

Everyone thinks it's harmless until it happens to you... I hope everyone thinks about this video the next time they pick up the phone to read and reply.

G

@jerreece

you had an urge to update your facebook status....... because there would be world ending consequences if you didn't ?

dear lord, there is no hope for humanity.....

helios2052

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2008
It's terrible that these things happen, but hopefully their stories will persuade others to use better judgment.

Everyone can be a good driver if they simply focus on the road.

sinsear

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2009
I agree, it's not just texting that causes accidents; it's the lack of attention to driving. Drinking a coffee, having a conversation with someone, making sure that the kid in the back is behaving: all of these distractions cause accidents. Texting is just one source of the distraction. A better campaign video would be to emphasize that one should give their 100% focus to the road when driving and shut out all the of the distractions.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
and dead customers are non-paying customer

Well that isn't exactly true. Due to the contract it would be perfectly possible to sue the deceased persons estate for the remaining payments or if hidden within the contract death could be automatically qualified as a early termination and thus be charged with the early disconnection fees.

As for this advertising campaign its not because they care or even that a deceased customer isn't as profitable as a living one. In fact the campaign is likely to cost more than saving the lives of their customers. However its a form of advertisement that aims to boost PR to keep existing consumers and draw in new ones. Plus it may even qualify as a tax write off if played off correctly.

wonspur

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
driving already takes up a lot of focus. Its not my driving im worried about its other peoples driving im worried about. Texting takes away nearly all my focus (ive tried it before and wont do it again). Texting in the snow is just unapologetic. I cant even fathom the thought process of texting someone in shitty conditions.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
[citation][nom]sinsear[/nom] A better campaign video would be to emphasize that one should give their 100% focus to the road when driving and shut out all the of the distractions.[/citation]

Thats not possible. There are even outside distractions... road signs, cute chick, radio, and even thinking. Yes, if you're driving for 30min or hours... your brain is thinking ahead of what you're going to do. Or what happend an hour ago. etc etc.

But yes, Texting is the WORST thing. I like my Samasung Galaxy in which it takes 1 click to say "I'm driving"... I have pulled over to do texting.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]NuclearShadow[/nom]Well that isn't exactly true. Due to the contract it would be perfectly possible to sue the deceased persons estate for the remaining payments or if hidden within the contract death could be automatically qualified as a early termination and thus be charged with the early disconnection fees.[/citation]
I was about to say the same things. These companies are shameless. I saw a story a few years back about college kids getting their first credit card, going into immense debt, then killing themselves when they couldn't stand the pressure of the debt. The credit card companies had the balls to sue the parents of the students for the remaining balance.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
[citation][nom]Anomalyx[/nom]Why is texting always getting the spotlight? It has been shown time and time again that nearly every distraction is created equal. The only difference, distraction-wise, between texting and changing the air conditioning is that texting takes longer.Plus, becoming illegal has made it more dangerous. I have 2 examples. The first is that now everyone who texts will be holding their phone much lower so that it is out of sight, rather than holding it up by the windshield, where periferal vision could still help spot stuff in time. The second isn't really texting, but phones in general. I once had someone honk and yell at me to put the phone down, while at full speed on the freeway. He then came extremely close to rear-ending the car in front of him because he was too busy yelling at me. What was I doing that warranted getting honked at? Plugging my headset into my phone because a call was coming in (aka following the law).My point is that this whole anti-texting campaign is like trying to stop world hunger by feeding 4 bums downtown. Sure, it contributes, but it's nowhere close to solving the real problem (human stupidity, in the case of texting and most-but-not-all distracted driving incidents).[/citation]
You are a moron.

duk3

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010
That's a lot of spam.
I'd say being sleepy while driving is worse than texting, you don't have to watch the phone and text and can keep one hand on the wheel.
I think we should also make yelling at the kids in the back or passing things back illegal if texting is illegal while driving.

Montezuma

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2008
[citation][nom]jerreece[/nom]Texting while driving, in my opinion, is much worse than talking while driving. Holding your phone and chatting verbally takes much less concentration than trying to text with one thumb while driving.I had the urge to update my Facebook status while driving yesterday. But I pulled over and stopped to do so.[/citation]

Just what the hell is important enough to give you "the urge" to update your Facebook page while driving? I do not get why so many people feel the need to tell me about every little thing they are engaging in during their day. Facebook has its uses, but I do not care about every little aspect of you life, and neither do your friends.

Connecting with someone you have not communicated with for a while(old school friend, co-worker, etc) is what Facebook is for. Tell me about where you just ate, or which bar you are getting hammered is not.

Do something productive with your time.

thomaseron

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2007
[citation][nom]jhansonxi[/nom]It's not text messaging that is the problem - distractions are. Talking on cell phones, watching TV/DVD, and trying to control kids/pets also causes accidents.[/citation]

Texting is much worse than talking on your phone. Why? Because you have to look at what you're typing, while you can actually pay attention to the road if you're talking to someone. Sure, all distractions are bad, but texting is worse! Drive safetly. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.