hellrazor

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2004
I'm using a linksys lne100tx networkcard or something like that. Anyways, the damn drivers somehow are restarting my computer automatically when I shut down. I know this because I uninstalled the drivers and i shut down my pc, and it stayed off. Does anyone know what to do. I didn't have this problem unitl I removed the card and put it back in. I do have the most recent drivers installed also.

peartree

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2001
Well, I'm going to have to guess at your OS, since you didn't mention. This behavior is caused by Windows, NOT Linksys drivers!

For Win XP

1- Open System Properties (Windows key+Pause)

2- Click on the Advanced tab

3- Click the Settings button under System Failure

4- UNCHECK Automatically Restart

That will let you get a look at the actual error message and you can go from there.

=== SHOPPINGMAN!!! Never assume ANYTHING ====

hellrazor

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2004
Well, I forgot all about that setting! I thought that was for sure the problem when I read your reply. But it was already turned off. Sorry about not mentioning my OS. Your right, I am using windows XP pro. IT still restarts. Maybe its something in my bios settings. Thanks for the help.

peartree

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2001
Don't give up at this point. There may be another place where it can be turned on. Check out the Administrative Tools section. It may or may not show up in your Start menu, depending on settings. I think I used TweakUI to get it there. Admin Tools is a huge collection of local and group policies and settings. In there you can set security policy and control program access, among other things. It's got so many sections and settings that I can't remember where the restart-on-error setting may be, but I'd sure check that.

If all that fails, do a search in the online Microsoft Knowledgebase for 'restart after error' or something.

=== SHOPPINGMAN!!! Never assume ANYTHING ====