Gateway NV59 USB nor SD drive are working

XxHaimBondxX

Honorable
Mar 9, 2013
I've searched all over, however, can't seem to find a fix for this. They stopped working in Win 7 Pro. I thought Win 8 will take care of it with better drivers, however, still the same issue. When I insert something into the USB or SD, Windows plays a chime and says USB not recognized. I installed all drivers that are available from Gateway. I also don't see a USB option when a bootable USB is inserted. Bios doesn't have any USB functions, other that boot order. It almost feels like a hardware issue, however, what possibly would cause USB failure? Without USB or SD, laptop is almost useless.

ratedk

Distinguished
Sometimes the little plastic piece inside the USB port will get broken, and expose the pins. If that has happened, the pins will get mashed into the sides of the USB port grounding them when they shouldn't be. The SD card reader is usually tied into the USB controller. This will cause all the problems you've described.

If this is the problem, turn the laptop off, and try to straiten the pins so they aren't touching and you should get USB functionality back in the other ports. Fill the bad port with hot glue so they don't short again. If you decide to spend the money to fix the bad port, hot glue can easily be removed.

TRENDING THREADS