Notebook Suggestions (High Performance)

G

Hello! Im new to the forums, but this is the site that many many people recommended to look for hardware suggestions.
The thing is, my old laptop (dell inspiron) broke its motherboard yesterday while doing a 3dsmax render. And its time to upgrade, that laptop had almost 5 years with me. I DO need a laptop, as a desktop replacement, since I have to go to my university all day, and work there and on my spare time, I work on Unreal Development Kit and Unity Engine (models and animations in 3ds Max) to do some videogames as portfolio.

Now, let's cut to the chase. Im deciding between:
- Alienware M17x
- Maingear Nomad 15" or 17".
- CyberpowerPC Fangbook (17")
- Origin PC Eon15-S or Eon17-S

Now, to follow the etiquette:

1. What is your budget?
Max 2000-2200$.

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
15" or 17"

3. What screen resolution do you want?
1920x1080p nothing less.

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Desktop replacement. Power over portability.

5. How much battery life do you need?
4 hours is good to me. Probably wont use the battery unless power goes off.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games.?
Yes, mostly, dota2 and Counter Strike:GO. But I do enjoy FarCry3 and Modded Crysis 1. Im starting to play Planetside and Hawken from time to time.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
3D Modelling, 3D Videogame Engine kits, like Unreal, Source (hammer edtor) and Unity. Usage of 3DSMax and Maya and Photoshop for texture editing.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
I Use external Western Digital hard drives a lot (myPassport), so main storage doesn't have to be HUGE. I think 250Gb of SSD will do just fine. A secondary 500Gb 7200RPM can be added later.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
Since my options are "boutique pc's" I will buy directly from their sites.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
3 to 5 years.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
None. A DVD Burner is welcomed but I don't use them much.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
- Alienware: one of my partners that's also into 3d modeling has an M15X fr 3 years now and I must say, that even tho the performance isn't TopNotch (260mGTX), its sturdily build, has a nice 1080p resolution, Dual FANS for ventilation (this is a MUST BE on Venezuela thanks to the ecuatorial heats). And looks very cool.
- Maingear: my boss has a Maingear desktop and he's always saying that even though its costly, its prime-material.

13. What country do you live in?
Venezuela. Consider this for the Ventilation system inside the laptop. I prefer dual fans (alienware has those) Because we really get hot temperatures this days.

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
Im ready to be flamed for choosing this kind of laptops. 99% of the time I hear the "those are overpriced pieces of crap" and "they are just Sager/Clevo with overprice". The thing is, that even though checked Clevo and Sager, if im going to pay 1800-2200$ for a laptop, I think the look of it has to shine, not necessarily as much as the alienware, but look at the Maingear for example, it looks "strong". And Sagers just look like a medium-level Toshiba or something.

More details:
Hardware that im trying to achieve and looking for suggestions on:
- CPU: Intel core i7 3740QM 2.7 / 6MB cache (difference between this and the next one skyrocket to 200$+) (Need sugestions on this one, cant wait for Haswell to come out so Ivy should do)
- GPU: Nvidia 675MX or 680M. Why? Keppler Architecture on both (24nm). I'd rather the 680 but if I need to lower the price ill go happily with the 675MX Why not ATI? Im a Nvidia faboy, deal with it.
- RAM: 8-12GB, Corsair Vengeance if applicable (maingear and cyberpower lets you choose brand)
- Hard Drive: 250Gb SSD (Corsair Neutron if applicable, again maingear and cyberpower lets you choose). If its not way overprice, a secondary 500gb 7200rpm would be good.

That's pretty much it.
What am I looking? Oppinions on the hardware selection, and feedback on the brands.
Thanks in advance!!!

crazyg0053

Honorable
Feb 14, 2013
Its not the response you're looking for, but I was in your situation a few years back. In university, wanted a gaming laptop etc.

Instead of a $2000+ gaming laptop, I strongly suggest getting a desktop for gaming ($800-1000) and cheap little netbook ($150-300) for when your on the move. Half the price, the desktop will perform miles better than any laptop you could buy and a lightweight long battery netbook will be far more appropriate for class and travel.

$2000 is a lot of money to blow on what will be nothing more than an expensive paperweight in 2 years.

G

Problem is, that I do need to work when im on the move. Im on my final semester on the university, and my thesis on computer science its about Graphic Computation, and I sometimes need plenty of power to do some renders. So far I've been using borrowed, more powerfull pc's for that matter.

Also, going to my job (part time now, full time after I graduate) on a Software company could be easier with my own laptop/programs. (Software companies tend to be small here, as in max of 30 people, and they allow everyone to use their own pc's).

This is why I keep preferring the powerfull laptop.