Laptop screen and hdmi not working

kronolynx

Honorable
Mar 8, 2013
Hi
i have an acer aspire 5738zg with radeon hd5400 series, 6 gigas of ram, windows 7.
today when i turned on my laptop everything was working as usual then all of a sudden after a few minutes
the whole screen got covered in some zigzag lines yellow then pink and after that the screen went black.

i forced shutdown my laptop , tried to restart but the screen wouldn't turn on.
i tried unplugging the laptop , removing the battery and pressing the turn on button for 30 seconds. also tried removing 1 stick of ram then the other but it didn't work.

then i tried to plug my laptop to an external screen via hdmi. but it didn't work either, i know the laptop is on i can hear the sound and the hard drive light works.

what could be the problem ?
i don't understand why the hdmi is not working either, yesterday i plugged my laptop to the tv to watch anime and was just fine.

any help would be appreciated

thanks

GeorgeCoffman

Honorable
Mar 8, 2013
Sadly my friend,
it seems your laptop screen is damaged. Don't try to fix it yourself unless you're an expert in laptop repair. Go to a repair shop. They'll charge you for diagnosing. Best of luck and let us know what happened.

kronolynx

Honorable
Mar 8, 2013

i understand that probably the screen is damaged but i still don't get the relationship with the hdmi ?
why both stop working at the same time ?
as far as i have read when the screen damage you can still use a laptop with an external monitor, right ?

not possible 'cause the screen wont turn on, so i can't access the bios, plus i think i have the lates version for my laptop.

thanks for the answers

kronolynx

Honorable
Mar 8, 2013

thanks, you are right, i read and the problem seems to be the solder balls under the GPU have either cracked or have become detached from the solder pads on the motherboard. a few months ago my laptop was overheating, at the point that the touchpad damaged,like a month ago i got my laptop's termal paste changed and the fan cleaned and that stopped the overheating but i guess it was too late.

i read that now i should get the GPU reballed but it seems kinda expensive 100 - 130 euros , i don't think it's worth it, i will try to be patient and save money till i can get a new laptop.
thanks again for the help.