Will Lenovo Y400 last me 5+ years?

ReggAbac

Honorable
Mar 8, 2013
Hi there!
I've been considering buying a Lenovo Y400 because of the price and performance it offers. My only question at this point is if the technology will be able to play new games five years from now. Does anyone know about an upcoming laptop release that is comparable in price and other aspects but better equipped for the long run?
I've had a Dell XPS m1330 since it was released in 2007. It has treated me well. It was perhaps a little underpowered, but I was in school and needed daily portability. Im now teaching abroad, so I need something portable, but more powerful than the XPS. I am hoping the Y400 is a good choice for the next 5 years.
Please let me know if you have any suggestions or insight into the future, comparable machines or technology.
Thanks a lot!

Solution

ReggAbac

Honorable
Mar 8, 2013
Thanks for the reply.
Right now the Y400 is $750 before taxes (free shipping.) I think that's a great value, so something comparable to that would be good. Im willing to spend more if I feel that the upgrade is worth the extra cost.

GeorgeCoffman

Honorable
Mar 8, 2013

Hello, what you must understand that whenever a game is made, it runs best on the laptops & desktops with the latest configuration. But this doesn't mean that it doesn't run good with old computers too.

Similarly, no matter how new and awesome your desktop/lappy is, 5 yrs from now, the games that will be created might run good but not as good as those configs that will be available then.

Don't worry, just buy the best one you can afford now. Who knows 5 yrs from now what's gonna happen?
:D

Solution

psyco_kitty

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2009
Well if your mainly focused on games choose this laptop... its cheap and seems to have solid specs. However this laptop would be considered a DR laptop (desktop replacement), with only 3 hours of battery life don't expect to be going on long trips with it. For $750 its not a bad deal, but if you are willing to spend more you can easily get better performance (bigger ssd) and a higher quality screen.

ReggAbac

Honorable
Mar 8, 2013
Thanks for the advice, all! I'm gonna sit on it for a few days. I think Ill end up going with this, though. If I ever want something more portable, I'll just get a tablet to complement this.
Thanks again!