Notebook for Old (and Slightly Less Old) School Gaming

Kwerty91

Honorable
Mar 7, 2013
1. What is your budget?
- $500 to $700

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
- I'd prefer a 14", but a 15.6" will be just fine.

3. What screen resolution do you want?
- I'd be more than happy with 1280x720.

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
- Portable, please.

5. How much battery life do you need?
- Minimum 4 Hours, preferably more.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
- Yes (this is actually the primary reason for this post). I plan on doing some old school gaming (Betrayal at Krondor, C&C, Ultima VII, ect...) and would LOVE to run those at Max settings and some slightly more intensive games (Tales of Grimrock, Neverwinter Nights, Thief, ect...) and run those at Medium (preferably).

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
- Some light word processing, Skype, some Cartography software, RPG-Maker, and some Emulators (Specifically; DOSbox, ePSXe, Dolphin [for GC Games] and Project64).

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
- I have a 1TB external that holds my music, and movies, and other assorted stuff, so I think 320GB should be fine.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
- My favourite is NewEgg (http://www.newegg.ca), but other than that, I don't really care, as long as they have what I want, ahaha.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
- As long as possible, ahah. Or, until the new laptops come down in price in a couple of years.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
- I don't particularly need one, it would be nice, but not necessary.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
- My top choices would be; 1) HP / 2) Toshiba / 3) Lennovo, I've never had a bad system or experience from any of those, but if another brand fits the bill, I'll give them a shot. I do, however, REFUSE, to go anywhere near Dell (spits over shoulder). They scammed me on financing, and mislead me on the specs of the laptop I purchased, and I wasted over $1,000 on a piece of garbage. I'd rather not go with Acer, I find they're kind of cheap, but again, if they fit the bill, I wont gripe.

13. What country do you live in?
- Canada. (By the way, your text editor for posts thinks I'm spelling favourite wrong :p)

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
- I think I've covered just about everything. The biggest reason for posting, is I'm not 100% on what I would need for a processor (in terms of, do I need qaud-core? Should I go for sheer GHz over number of cores? Would Intel HD 4000 cover what I need (or whatever version AMD has for theirs), or should I spring for a graphics card?). I'm looking to build a good gaming desktop gaming PC, and think it almost be a waste to play older games on such a ballsy machine, so I figured a good notebook would do much better. Any and all help would be amazingly appreciated!