How do I downgrade from windows 8 to windows 7?

toadsteed

Honorable
Mar 6, 2013
I recently purchased an HP Envy with that awful windows 8 and would like to downgrade it to Windows 7. First can I do this and how? And what version of Windows 7 do I need?
Is there a different OS other than Windows that I should be looking at?
I am using this as a school and work computer; I also like to play flash games and GW. Any help would be great I really hate having a paper weight that cost so much :(

bdiddytampa

Honorable
Dec 2, 2012
If you really want to go from Windows 8 to Windows 7 you are gonna need a separate copy of Windows 7 and you will need to completely reinstall the entire operating system. No real point in going that route because you can make Win8 operate pretty much like Win7 with some apps. One in particular that replicates Win7 interface fairly well is Classic Shell http://www.classicshell.net/ it gives you a start menu and some other options for controlling the interface. That would be my advice, but if you are hellbent on downgrading and you have a copy of Windows 7 handy I can help you do that as well, but it is a process and you will likely lose all the programs that came with your computer.

toadsteed

Honorable
Mar 6, 2013

Not having the start menu is probably one of the biggest issues I have. Another issue is how slow it is with way too many programs running, if I download the app will it give me the control panel too so that I can remove, shut down, etc programs I don't want running?
How do I use the application and is this application "tried and true"?

bdiddytampa

Honorable
Dec 2, 2012

Well it's free first off lol, so it won't hurt to try and see if you like it. Download it, install it, check it out, if you don't like it uninstall and you aren't any worse off than before. There are a few of these out there like classic shell, the only one I know of that is as highly rated is Start8 http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/ but it is not free. You can uninstall programs in Windows 8 just like Windows 7, just right click in the bottom left corner of the screen and choose control panel from the pop up, but the start menu apps that I've shared with you will have a start menu just like whatever version of windows you prefer, with all the options you like. If you don't understand or can't figure out the specifics of Windows 8, and would like to learn, you can always Google your questions and you will find directions for what you want to do. There are plenty of guides out there to learn Windows 8 and who knows, once you are familiar with it you may like it lol.