Upgrading the mSSD in my MSI GT70

lrbrown09

Honorable
Mar 6, 2013
Hello all! I've been using Tom's hardware forever, but this is the first time I've ever posted and I'm excited to see the responses I need! :)

So I just bought the MSI GT70 ONE-452 US (http://www.msimobile.com/level3_productpage.aspx?id=380). The basic specs are:

Laptop: MSI GT70 ONE-452-US - i7 3630 QM - 16GB RM (4x 4) - 128 GB mSSD - 1TB 5400 - 4GB GTX 680M - Win 8 Pro.

I just ordered an additional Adata mSSD 256 GB drive to add to the 128. I want to raid these two SSD's together in order to create a boot drive that has the 128+256. So my question is how do I go about this to get the best possible option? Should I extend the boot drive to the secondary drive in the Windows settings or should I use the bios to bind them together and then reformat the drive with fresh WIN 8.

If there is a better way please let me know, I am just very anxious to use this computer to replace my desktop (tired of lugging that bitch around lol). I receive the new SSD on 3/8/2013 (This friday) and I would really appreciate it if I could get the clearest answer by then!

Thank you all so much!

lrbrown09

Honorable
Mar 6, 2013
Is there any specific benefits to getting two of the same? I really want more than 256 gb but 500$ for two ssds is pushing it wayyy past what is worth it seeing how I just dropped nearly2500 on this pc already lol.

Pyree

Distinguished
If you RAID 0 128GB and 256 GB, you only get 256GB. You are wasting the other 128GB on the 256GB SSD. Also, matching the SSD is a good idea because if you RAID SSD of different controller you are likely to have some issues.

lrbrown09

Honorable
Mar 6, 2013
Is there a problem with not installing the same brand and/or model of the ssd?? The specific model is adata mssd axm14.. which I cannot find ANYWHRRE online so I'm assuming its a manufacturers only card (not even a page on adatas website)

Pyree

Distinguished
Your access time/4k is going to be similar RAID or not. Only real different is seq read/write. You probably won't notice it until you do a benchmark or you move a lot of large files. You also lose TRIM, so SSD RAID is not recommended even for matched SSD. On top of that, you ordered a 256GB SSD so the remaining 128GB on the 256GB SSD that is not setup on the RAID 0 will be wasted. Because the different SSD is likely to have different controller, you combined the flaws, slowest of 4K and slowest of seq read/write as common denominator, when you put them in RAID.