Laptop - SSD, 1080p matte, 17", dedicate GPU - $1200

aggie_in_iowa

Honorable
Mar 6, 2013
Howdy,

Purchase date: next two weeks (unless Black Friday is supposed to be some type of super sale(?))

Budget: $1200 (flexible)

Size: 17"

Resolution: 1920x1080 (16:9) matte or anit-glare

CPU: no preference

Graphics: Dedicated graphics card (660m is probably enough)

Storage: HD/SSD combo (I'd only expect the OS to be on the SSD) (>250 gb on HD)

Usage: Tv/movie watching in bed, browsing, school work, casual gaming (haven't played any games really since Age of Empires and Hellgate but I might try out some new titles)
***realistically I'd like medium settings

This laptop will not need to be mobile. But the one thing we are looking for is a laptop that will not run hot, especially while watching movies/Tv. Maybe a laptop that can have the graphics turned on only while gaming?

I've looked at custom building one from xotic and sager websites. But I was hoping to hear anybody's recommendations for any run-of-the-mill laptops/ultrabooks out there. I'd also be interested in using an APU if that can play games just as well as the 660m.

Thanks and gig em

zeyads3

Honorable
Feb 8, 2013
hey, there is a site called www.cyberpowerpc.com
they make very high performance laptops with worth price, they made new laptop called fangbook, i think 680m or 675m, it's very cool, check out other laptops and desktop too!

aggie_in_iowa

Honorable
Mar 6, 2013
I will certainly check that out!

Another question that has arisen when putting together these custom builds...

Is it worth it to upgrade to Killer Wireless N?

Reason I ask, we currently are having issues of connectivity (Ipad 2) from bedroom to router (located on a lower level). Would this upgrade help with that?