Gaming laptop, advice required.

Estbarul

Distinguished
May 5, 2011
Hello, I'm sick of my HP g6 with a Radeon 6470m card, it overgheats a lot, sometimes even shuts down by itself, the drivers won't update accordingly and I've had a LOT of problems, don't want HP again and I want a new gaming laptop, no something high end, just enough to play today's newest games in med to high res. I do some programming, not much, and also use Matlab, CAD, Orcad, Tina, Solidworks, etc, since I'm studying electrical engineer, I'm finishing it.

I've searched a bit and found that the best deal for me at the moment is the Y500 with Nvidia 650 SLI graphics and a i7 CPU, but a lot of people have encountered problems with the laptop, and since I'm not from US I'm buying the laptop in a trip, I can't return the laptop whenever it's got a problem, so I'm trying to buy something as reliable as possible and forum topics about the y500 scared me a little bit, so my question is if you guys think Lenovo will replace faulty units with good ones in a month or so? So I can wait some time before they correct their y500 production line? Or maybe is there going to be in a month or so a new laptop out that can match those y500 potential by another brand with a similiar price/performance ratio?

I need an advice, maybe if you know some laptop I don't you can recommend me one, I'm filling this form anyway.

Thanks in advance!

1. What is your budget?

Something Around $1000

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?

15", no bigger nor smaller.

3. What screen resolution do you want?

I'm ok with my current 1366x768, but a 1080p would be nice.

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?

I'm going to need a desktop replacement laptop, don't care if it's heavy.

5. How much battery life do you need?

I'm not really going to take it off the charger much, so battery life is not important.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

Dirt games, Xcom, FPS, almost all kind of games, really want high, but if not med is fine.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
Gaming and Internet browsing, programming, engineering software.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?

500Gb+

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

Newegg, Amazon, best buy.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?

As long as I can.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?

Blue ray it's fine, but I don't really care, I can get an external drive later.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

Anything but HP, really bad heat problems with my current one. I had a Toshiba and was awesome, but I'm not seeing any bang for the buck in actual lappys.

13. What country do you live in?

Costa Rica, but I'll buy it in the US.

thank you again.

salh

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2011
I just got a pavillion sleekbook 15 with i5 and 2GB 630, it can run most of the latest casual games at high settings. It was the best price for any company at the same specs, plus it's unbelievably slim(you can say it's an ultrabook, all you need is an SSD) sometimes i just stare at the laptop and admire how sexy it is, inside and out

olin9

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2008
I like my Y500, it is fast and plays most games on high. I have only had it for 2 weeks and had had no issues. With both GPU in SLI I have not had any overheating issues. It boots up in 6 secs.

I7
8 GB Ram
1 TB w 16 GB ssd.
GT650m 2 GB
DVD