Laptop failing to boot Windows 7

yugas42

Honorable
Mar 4, 2013
Hey guys, just got home from school and turned on my laptop to check my email, to my surprise after about 15 minutes of use it shut off with no prompts or warnings (sudden shutdown, no blue screen, no Windows shutdown process) and now it will not boot into Windows at all. After about 60 seconds on the 'Starting Windows' screen it will blue screen for a fraction of a second, then return to the Windows Boot Manager. The Windows Recovery won't start either. This computer is set up to dual boot Windows 7 and Ubuntu Linux, the later of the two is what i'm using to type this right now, there's no problem with Linux, which makes me think it isn't hardware related, although it could be. I also doubt the fact that it would be a virus as I regularly use Malwarebytes and Avast, not to mention knowing my way around the internet well enough to generally be safe. Does anyone know what could be causing this? I'm at a loss after trying to fix it for about the last hour.

Kindredsouls

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
Try this:

Get to the menu just like when you tried loading into Safe Mode. Press F8. When the menu loads select "Disable automatic restart on system failure". Then when your computer starts up and blue screens you will be able to record the error message and begin troubleshooting.

Hope this helps and I wish you luck!

yugas42

Honorable
Mar 4, 2013

I do have a matching Windows 7 Home Premium disk, but the computer came pre-installed with Win7, the disk I have is an upgrade package, are the disks the same?

yugas42

Honorable
Mar 4, 2013
Thanks, going to try that now. I'm fairly sure I know what it is though. I just got a call from "Microsoft Support" asking to help with my computer, knowing that Microsoft never calls you, i'm suspicious that there was some Malware on my computer somewhere, they disabled it and then wanted to scam me. Pretty serious virus if it can do that, but I wouldn't doubt it.

yugas42

Honorable
Mar 4, 2013
Hard Drive seems to be a total loss on this computer. I can run Linux fine but my C: / cannot be accessed at all, even from Linux. It won't run the Win7 disk at all and i've even launched the setup on the disk from Linux and it tells me it can't find room for temp files, which tells me it can't read the drive at all. Only solution I can see at this point is to replace the hard drive.

yugas42

Honorable
Mar 4, 2013
Well long story short I guess I got lucky and it let me into the Asus recovery program, I totally wiped the hard drive and reimaged it. Looking at a fresh install of Win7 right now, problem solved somehow, but starting all over again. Thanks for the help everyone.