Can slow processor clock on ultrabooks affect gaming performance

infinitexpmax

Honorable
Mar 3, 2013
hi i'm a youtuber that records games using fraps :hello:
and i got a great deal on an ultrabook but i'm concerned on the slow processor clock (intel core i5 1.7 Ghz with 2.4 Ghz turbo boost) i asked can the processor can handle good gaming experience and he did said yes because it's an ivy bridge.

i just want to make sure cause the laptop also has Nvidia GTX 635 which is a great graphics card but i'm concerned if the processor can give good experience when i'm playing games like dead space 3, COD or even Battlefield 3

For playing games and recording it at the same time you really need a quad core CPU. They need to fight for the same CPU resources and since there are only 2 cores both game and video encoding will suffer. Both are rather CPU intensive.

I am not familiar with recording video while playing games, but I will assume that video will be using "light" encoding to lower the potential size of the video itself. "Heavy" encoding will be too slow to encode gaming video. I encode some movie and I can tell you that it is quite intensive and slow depending on the quality I set.

If it was a quad core i7 CPU in the ultrabook, then I think it would be fine given those clockspeeds. But I do not think there is a Core i7 CPU that has low enough power consumption to be used in an ultrabook.

mclovits

Honorable
Apr 7, 2012
I agree with the above post, except, there are plenty of i7 powered Ultrabooks, just search "Core i7 Ultrabook" and dozens of examples come up on Google. You'll want something quad-core, and a 635m won't play games like battlefield unless you really lower the resolution.

infinitexpmax

Honorable
Mar 3, 2013
i have no problem with dual core CPU because i use third party software to record mic audio instead of fraps making the video encoding lighter
my previous laptop is alienware m14x (intel i3 dual core 2.4Ghz with 3.0Ghz turbo boost) which has a bad graphics card (Nvidia 555m)
and my alienware suffers on lagging on games like borderlands 2 and natural selection 2 (lowest settings) with or without fraps
i'm seeking a laptop that has powerful graphics card that can give full performance when recording

unksol

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011

The GTX 635M is a very very poor graphics card. "ultra"book and gaming are polar opposites

In the strictest definition of an ultrabook, the CPU is not supposed to be rated any higher than 17w TDP. However, brandnames have decided to move away from the restrict requirement. All Core i7 with a max of 17w TDPs are only dual cores.

Of course there are laptops marketed as ultrabook even though the CPU does not meet the strict guidelines. An example, is the ASUS UX51Vz-XH71 Ultrabook which uses a standard Intel Core i7-3612QM which is rated at 35w TDP.

Ultrabook specifications:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultrabook