Looking for ultra thin-light weigh laptop for daily use and gaming

mido_egypt

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2011
Hi,

I am a student and I need a laptop for researches, entertainment and gaming. I am really confused between getting a laptop or a tablet and not sure what to put my money on. I have been saving money for a very long time and I must take this decision very carefully because I worked hard to collect some cash due to the low value of EPG compared to the American dollars.

Basically I want your opinion and your recommendations because I know you guys are experienced folks and really good at this. I read somewhere most of the laptops now have similar components which is kind of true. They all have i3's and i5's almost everywhere. So you must focus on design and size If you want to help me.

What I want in a laptop is to be thin-light weight hardware, provide good performance, has stylish modern looks, supports full HD LED touch screen with windows 8, has at least 4GB of ram DDR3, a strong but an affordable processor and a good graphics card that can last for years with the new videos games I also want it to be able to run games on maximum graphics or almost close to with at least 30 FPS otherwise it would lag as hell.

Now this sounds a bit of imaginary but I also want to be the lowest price possible compared to other laptops that have the same performance and don't forget that the designs and colors are very important. So let's say there are two similar or equal laptops, they're both great but there is major difference in price then make sure to pick the lowest price. I know this request is hard but please do your best in your researches.

My maximum range is 700$. Be aware that I live in Egypt so there are definitely tax and shipping fees. This is why I set 700$ only for the device itself besides tax, shipping and the shop custom fees. If I am forced to pay more, I'll try to but please try to find a laptop that has the things I mentioned.

jitpublisher

Distinguished
May 16, 2006

"I want the best of everything and my budget is impossibly low." Most of us really have no idea where you are going to be able to buy one, who would ship it to you, or what is available to you. I can tell you that trying to buy overseas and shipping it will very likely end up costing you more overall in the long run. A good gaming laptop that will last several years requires premium parts. You need to lower your expectations, or raise your budget.

RetiredChief

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2007
Second problem is "What I want in a laptop is to be thin-light weight hardware"
Not really compatable with higher end gaming, OOOO, what games are you taking about, some games require CPU horsepower while many others require a dGPU.

Large touchscreens with 1080+ resolution panels are expensive. My 10" tablet with a 1600 res was $500 and that was before throwing another $200 at it.

For ultralites, here is what you are up against in price:
http://www.newegg.com/Ultrabooks/SubCategory/ID-3090?Tid=20039
NOTE: touchscreen models shifts price upto $1000+ USD.

G

You're being overambitious, gaming laptops are usually heavy thick things with shitty battery life that would never max out games. You could try an APU-based ultrathin laptop, those are arguably the best thin cheap gaming laptops.

The best you can get for what you want is probably one of these:
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Acer-Aspire-V5-551.85588.0.html
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Lenovo-IdeaPad-S405-Notebook.86795.0.html

mido_egypt

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2011
Thanks a lot guys! I didn't know much about laptops but now I do know a bit.

How about you suggest me an ultra book that has a great design for daily uses and casual gaming, regular laptop with the maximum graphics card I can afford and a good tablet? My decision will be based on their abilities.

Such a laptop does not exist. A powerful graphic card puts out a lot of heat and needs a large enough heatsink to dissipate the heat. The larger the heatsink, the heavier the laptop. Copper is the best inexpensive metal to conduct heat, but it is heavier than aluminum. A powerful graphics card to max out games at 1080p resolution is quite expensive, generally the price for the graphic chip itself is almost as much as you want to spend on the entire laptop.

You need to lower your expectations and increase your budget.

mido_egypt

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2011

Read my previous comment :p

RetiredChief

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2007
You said
"supports full HD LED touch screen with windows 8, has at least 4GB of ram DDR3, a strong but an affordable processor and a good graphics card that "

and a price cap of $700

Let me rephase what japuarskx stated a little more plainly - NO WAY.
Sorry for being blunt, But you can not package your requirements much under a grand. Touchscreen + 1080 Res and cheap do not compute.

Hi :)

TOTALLY agree ^^^^^^^

And I sell them lol...

All the best Brett :)

Aug 16, 2013
I'm sorry for the late response, but this one was launched in march 2013, and it seems to be quite a bargain considering your expectations.

Check out the i5 model, I think that would be close to your budget. And you know the funny thing? I'm exactly in the same situation! ;)

http://www.asus.com/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/ASUS_VivoBook_S550CM/

Cheers!

Aug 16, 2013