How do I know which motherboard will fit my HP DV6-1264ca?

Janitor47

Honorable
Feb 23, 2013
I finally have the efforts to fix a DV6-1264ca laptop that died a year ago; needs a new motherboard.
Hardware specs are in this link.

I stripped the thing apart and found a serial or model number or whatever printed on the board: DAUT1AMB6D0
So I googled it, found this ebay link, and boom, I can just buy that motherboard and all will be well.

But my question is, if I just do a ebay keyword search of "DV6-1000 motherboard", will any of those motherboards fit my DV6-1264ca?
For example this bad boy right here I wouldn't mind buying because it is less expensive (although used condition). Would that fit any DV6-1XXX series laptop?

And a follow up question, how do I know what CPU chip will be compatible with my system? Like the motherboard socket types and bus speeds and what not. Because I'll probably just get a new CPU while I'm at it, because the AMD chip the thing has stinks.

Help is appreciated.
- Derek

bkoop

Honorable
Apr 1, 2012
Are you trying to play games on this laptop? What makes you say the AMD chip the thing has stinks?

If the motherboard is broken and you don't like the CPU, I would consider a new laptop.

If you can get a different CPU, it would have to be the same watts, and it appears to be a Socket S1 and have 638 contacts. It appears to be 5 years old, you really can't expect much more out of it.

As for the used motherboard, the seller lists all the models it is compatible with and yours is not listed.

Janitor47

Honorable
Feb 23, 2013
It stinks because the CPU would always be at 80 degrees Celsius at idle, and would get to 90 when watching a video or something.. I'm not surprised it died. I tried to take the best care I could with it, using chill pads and having it raised to improve ventilation.

I took it in to a repair shop and the guy said it looks like a dead motherboard and most likely CPU as well.

So really my goal is to get a different motherboard and CPU in this thing so it won't run so hot. A less powerful CPU, preferably an Intel, but I'm not sure if that'll be possible because of compatibility.

I already bought myself a new laptop for college, but it'd be nice to fix this one up to have as a spare, or sell it for some cash.

bkoop

Honorable
Apr 1, 2012
The only reason I can think of that a CPU would run at 90 degress Celsius is if the heatsink was not properly attached. That is just way too hot and the laptop should have shutdown before that.

It was not that hot because of the CPU, it was that hot because something was broken or defective.

If you have to buy a motherboard and a CPU, it is not clear that you would be able to sell it for what you have to put into it. It does appear to be 5 years old.

Janitor47

Honorable
Feb 23, 2013

The machine always ran hot since the day I bought it 5 years ago. I guess its just bad design by HP. I've read a lot of people's complaints on the web regarding how hot DV6 laptops run.

But anyways, I just bought the exact CPU from ebay for $30, used. Once that comes in I'll pop it in to see if it starts. If not, I'll go ahead to just buying the exact motherboard, which is about $100 after shipping/tax. Altogether being a $130 fix or so.

5 years old, but I wouldn't consider it completely obsolete, ha. Its got 1GB dedicated video, 4GB RAM, dual-core CPU, 500GB HD. It was $999 retail 5 years ago, I'd say its equivalent to a $400 laptop you'd find today. I'd be happy to sell it for $200.