Need help finding a suitable laptop

ziphoblat

Honorable
Feb 22, 2013
Hi all,

I've been searching for a few hours for a laptop that suits my needs and I'm struggling. It's for a few purposes, general browsing, word processing, gaming, and pro-audio. It doesn't need to be the most powerful gaming machine ever, because it's second to my main desktop, but I'm a student and I'm backwards and forwards all over the place at the moment so being able to access my games while I'm away from my flat would be useful. Because of the pro-audio stuff I also need a firewire port (or an expresscard slot through which to use a fireware card) as my audio interface is firewire only (as is the case with most of the decent stuff). For word processing I'd like to have full 1920x1080p, my eyesight is good and I find smaller resolutions to be restricted. In favour of portability I'd like to have a 15" screen rather than anything bigger. I'm looking to spend around £800, I could stretch that a little for the right machine but I'd rather not have to.

The best I've found so far is the Asus N56VZ-S4207V with a 15.6" screen, 1080p HD resolution, i7-3630QM CPU, and NVidia 650m GPU. Those specs are the exact sort of area I want to be hitting in terms of performance and gaming, and it comes in at just the right price (£799) but unfortunately it seems it doesn't have an expansion slot or firewire port.

So basically here's my criteria:

Quadcore processor
15" 1080p screen
4GB+ RAM
650m or better GPU
Firewire port or expansion slot
~£800 budget

Does this exist and I've just missed it in my searches, or am I asking for too much?

Thanks for the help

Samuelquick

Honorable
Nov 9, 2012
I'd try the HP elitebook 8560w.
It's a real good workstation once you uninstall some of the random stuff they have on the computer.
It's a sight for sore eyes, and is heavy.
But this pretty much fits to what you want.

ziphoblat

Honorable
Feb 22, 2013

Thanks for the suggestions, unfortunately it seems to be about £300-400 over my budget and grossly underpowered for that amount of money too :(.