Windows 8 and Graphic Cards

MysticMoon

Honorable
Feb 21, 2013
I had a HP Pavilion and then bought Windows 8. It wasn't smooth running but it worked. My son had a built computer with an Amd Radeon 6670. He wanted to upgrade to Windows 8. He did and it wasn't long after that his computer died. He needed the graphics card to play his games. He put it in my computer and it died. I'm not sure the reason they both died. Seems like it is a big coincidence and I have read some not so good stuff about Windows 8 so, draw your own conclusions. Anyway, my 17 year old gamer and I are out of a computer and are going nuts. I don't have a lot of cash so I was looking at ones on QVC to be able to make payments and I actually found one but it will need a better graphics card.

It is the HP Envy h8 it has an i5 and 8gb ram, both needed for him to game but it comes with an intel HD graphics 2500. That I know will not be acceptable.

My question is do you think it is safe to put the Radeon in there? I don't want a repeat.
What graphics card would I upgrade to?
Has anyone else had this problem with Windows 8?

Thanks and sorry about typos.. I'm on a phone :(

johnnyq1233

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2007
When you say died...does the computer even start when you power it up?
remove the card from your machine and put your old card back in and see if it starts up...
It could very well be the graphics card is dead and it is not allowing the comp to start...
But looking at the system requirements that card needs a good quality power supply of minimum 400 watts...
If your pavillion had less then that it could have killed your power supply...
But do the first thing and remove that card and see if your machine starts up...
JQ

MysticMoon

Honorable
Feb 21, 2013
Thanks for the reply JQ.
I have tried taking out the graphics card and still nothing. I took your advice and switched the power supply to one that meets the requirements and still nothing. I think I have triedd just about everything now. No matter what I do neither one comes on. I am baffled.