News regarding Lenovo Y500 touchpad problem

Venzen007

Honorable
Feb 18, 2013
I just spoke with a Lenovo product manager regarding the known touchpad issue with the Y500. The discussion was regarding whether I was going to buy that product. I was told (and I appreciate the honesty), that they have 500+ units of that model ready to ship and they have no way of knowing which ones have the touchpad issue because the problem is not identifiable via serial number. So, they can't fix the issue before they send out defective touchpads (which was my question, since I didn't want to buy a new computer only to send it back for a couple of weeks to be repaired).

I was told I could order the Y500, and if it exhibited the issue, to use a wireless mouse while Lenovo completed their official fix of the issue, which he said would be coming soon. (I was offered a free wireless mouse, even.)

Just a note for all to be aware.

(I bought a Y580).

tony_k

Honorable
Feb 23, 2013

haha, looking at the y500 myself. how is the touchpad on the y580 treatin ya?

doug225

Honorable
Jul 3, 2013

doug225

Honorable
Jul 3, 2013
I purchased a Lenovo Y500 in early Jan..... has been sent back twice for bad touchpad..... laptop has never worked and it is impossible to use the touch pad with an excell spread sheet. First time Lenovo sent it back,they claimed it was a software issue but touch pad was erratic first time I used it. Lenovo claims they REPLACED the touchpad the second time I sent back but touch pad still has a mind of its own and is impossible to control. DO NOT BUY A LENOVO Y500..... I ignored the feedback thinking it was a problem with a few units.... seems to be a problem Lenovo cannot fix.

Oscar Calisch

Honorable
Nov 29, 2013
I found a pontetial fix if it is the same issue I had for a while. While i was holding down a key on my keyboard the mouse would freeze if I was using the touchpad. Reinstalling the driver for the touchpad (first removing Lenovo's terrible drivers(sorry Lenovo) and installing an OEM Synaptic driver.) (I installed the v15_2_20_C since that was the latest at the time). This fixed it and the touchpad is now working like it should have done from the get-go.

Hope this helped.

Link to Synaptics drivers: http://www.synaptics.com/resources/drivers

lakshmanan A

Estimable
Apr 1, 2014
Hi am babu. i was working in lenovo last year. That is really a truth that Y500 has a severe touch pad issue which is unable for them to solve permanently. so before buying lenovo products think twice and read the feed back from online users as much as u can. and this model Y500 is nearly 70k . prevention is better than cure ..