Acer Aspire One AO722 Webcam Problems

CampisGrinder

Honorable
Feb 6, 2013
Hello,

I seem to be having a rather common issue with my Acer Aspire One Netbook, that I cannot find a working solution to, so I am asking the nice people of this website for help.

Specs on the Netbook:
Acer Aspire One AO722
2GB DDR3 1333MHz
Western Digital 160GB HDD
AMD C-60 Dual Core APU Processor
APU GPU is a Radeon HD 6290.

Problem:

The webcam does not function.

Other thoughts:

I have read about 13 different help threads about this problem, but none of the symptoms match. This webcam worked just fine in Ubuntu when I tried that OS.

Solutions Tried:
Well, none of the solutions to anyone elses problem seems to be even step one for me.
The webcam dosn't even identify on the device manager, like everyone apparantly says it does.
But, the webcam dosnt seem to be bad, because it worked flawlessly in Ubuntu 12.10.

Side Note:
Most posters seem to think that the solution to all previous problems I have had with all of my computers stem from heat issues.
this is a webcam problem, and the netbook runs well withing operation temperatures.

Solution

Hi :)

It MUST be disconnected (physically) and no I don't know why it worked in Linux, possibly it will not now...

All the best Brett :)

CampisGrinder

Honorable
Feb 6, 2013
Sorry Brett, but Yawcam dosnt find the webcam either.

This is really bothering me, because the webcam worked flawlessly in ubuntu 12.10.

darkbooton, I did not purchase this laptop from a vendor, I bought this from a guy selling it because the hard drive failed and he just wanted to get rid of it, so I dont think acer is going to work with me on this one because I am not the original buyer.

Also:

I'm about to just say "Forget it, everything else works flawlessly, I dont even really need the webcam anyway."

Still hoping someone knows how to fix this.
I really don't want to have to peel this thing apart to reconnect a cord, because I have horrible luck with laptop hardware.

Update:
Just as I figured, BIOS were out of date, but the new BIOS just made it boot faster .(Not complaining there)
BIOS update DID NOT fix the webcam.
I think the connector is loose or something.
That, or a fresh copy of Windows might be the solution.
I dont really know at this point.

You DID install the driver for the webcam from Acers support site I assume ?

CampisGrinder

Honorable
Feb 6, 2013

Yes, I did try to install the webcam driver from the acer support site. Says there is no webcam detected during installation.

It MUST be disconnected (physically) and no I don't know why it worked in Linux, possibly it will not now...

Solution

jprestosh

Honorable
Aug 15, 2013
Any answers to this? My Aspire V5 is ten days old and has the same problem. I used the webcam to Skype twice. Went to use it a third time, and the computer does not recognize a webcam. I went into device manager. There is a little yellow triangle next to one of the USB Root hubs. I deleted everything and tried to reinstall it. Same result. Then I downloaded the driver myself and tried installing it. Same result. I backed up my entire computer, and wiped it completely clean to start fresh. Same result. Acer wants me to mail the laptop to Texas and wait ten days. Absolute BS. How does a ten day old webcam just "unplug" itself internally? How do these problems keep happening with Acer? Does anybody have any solution? I have literally tried EVERYTHING that anybody on several forums suggested. Nothing works.

CampisGrinder

Honorable
Feb 6, 2013
@ jprestosh

The webcam is unplugged. After looking for a way to get into the case to look, it realize now why it was unplugged.
The way the cable is routed shows how easy it is to unplug the webcam.
Pull the screen encloseure off and try unplugging and re-plugging the webcam in.
The cable literally runs out from the hole that the video connector comes out of, wraps around a screw, and then runs(with an absurd amount of tension) behind the screen. That and there has been absolutely no attempt to secure the plug for the camera.
I recommend that you use something to hold the connector in, like a tiny amount of tape or maybe a little hot glue or something.