New Notebook/Ultrabook for Uni

Aleatoire

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2009
Hi there, I'm a Computer Science student just starting University and I'm in need of a laptop. I know a lot about hardware/software and spend a lot of time fiddling with and troubleshooting desktops, problem is that until now I've had no need for a laptop and as such don't really know where to start my search. That's where I'd like some help.
I'll be using it pretty much exclusively for University work (word processing, spreadsheets, that kind of stuff) so it needs to be light weight and have great battery life, however I'm also doing a couple of papers in sound recording and production and would like to be able to record up to 8 channels at once using Pro Tools, meaning that I need something more powerful than a low level netbook. I don't need a lot of storage space so just a single SSD would be perfect and a high quality 13"-14" display is a must. I plan to use it for at least the entirety of my degree (3 years).

I was going to use the Laptop Buyers FAQ template but a lot of that doesn't really apply to me so I'll just ask a few of questions.

My thoughts are that an ultrabook would fit my needs perfectly, both in performance and portability/battery life. Would this be my best option?
What are the top brands at the moment in terms of quality, service and reliability and can you suggest a couple of models to get me started?
What sort of price would I be looking at for a higher end ultrabook? It's not really a deal breaker but it would be nice to keep my loan down.

I'm in New Zealand by the way so I can't access and special Newegg deals or anything like that (sucks so much).
Thanks for the help.